Customize Default Sharing options per Site Collection

Deleted
Not applicable

Noticed this sitting in Admin messages just now. Have one reaction to it :). daniel_bryan_yes__by_the_jackanapes-d4wvzxm

New feature: Customized Sharing Defaults per SharePoint Site Collection

MC138254

Stay Informed

Published On : May 16, 2018
In SharePoint Online, Default sharing link types and Default sharing link permissions are now available to be customized per site collection. We’ve begun rolling this out now, and it will be available worldwide by the end of June. While our goal is to ensure we notify you in advance of upcoming changes, we acknowledge we did not provide timely notice for this change. We will continue to look for ways to improve our notifications. This message is associated with Office 365 Roadmap ID 30568.

How does this affect me?
You can now configure the default link type and default link permission for your users in SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business. With this change, you may now further customize the default sharing settings on a per site collection basis. These settings may be set via the classic SharePoint admin center or viaSharePoint Online Management Shell.

What do I need to do to prepare for this change?
There is nothing you need to do to prepare for this change. Please click Additional Information to learn more.
12 Replies

this is a great new feature thanks for sharing :)

Glad you all like this :) The feature is still rolling it out but I'd love to get your feedback as you use this. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Does it also apply to sites that are derived from groups?

I could modify it for SharePoint sites but I couldn't find a place to modify for group sites.

Please advise thank you :)

Both should be configured via powershell, or the new SharePoint Admin Center Preview site, you can change this setting in the details pane of the site mangement, which includes group sites and classic sites etc.

sharing1.jpgsharing2.jpg

Slight correction: You can enable/disable external sharing in the modern admin center but you cannot (yet) set the new per-Site default there.

For now, you can use classic SPO admin for setting the default sharing setting on classic sites & PowerShell for group-connected sites.

Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Program Manager II

Oh, thought he was talking about per site setting not the default setting for new sites etc.

Could be, I was just going off the thread title itself. @Ming Hsien Tsai, if you are looking to disable external sharing or anonymous links on a per-site basis, Christopher is 100% correct :)

For now, you can use classic SPO admin for setting the default sharing setting on classic sites & PowerShell for group-connected sites.

This answers my question. I have users who want to change the default sharing settings for their group-connected sites, but I couldn't find any UI that does that.

Thank you guys!

Is there any update /reply on Default link type while sharing for office 365 group connected sites

Does appear this option for group sites work using PowerShell works on target release tenants at this time
<Set-SPOSite -Identity 'https://abc.sharepoint.com/sites/grouptest' -DefaultSharingLinkType Direct>

Hello @Stephen Rice,

Is it possible in the meantime to adjust the default sharing option (per site type) when creating new sites?

When I consult the documentation about this (Microsoft 365 guest sharing settings reference | Microsoft Docs,), it does show what the default sharing settings are for each site type, but it does not say we can or cannot change this.

Thanks!

Hi @A-Dean,

There is no way to do this today unfortunately. You can change the default sharing link type after the site has been created, but there is no way to do it at creation time. Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive