SOLVED

Custom view for a folder

Brass Contributor

Greetings from sunny Vancouver Island.

In my documents library, I have a folder for resumes.  I want to add a column that is "screened?" with yes/no, default no.  All of that works fine.  What I'd like, tho, is this to only be for just that folder and not all the other folders.  This should be dead simple or blindingly obvious which, of course, means I can't find it.

Any help is gratefully acknowledged with a donation made in your name to the Newbie Support Foundation.

Thanks!

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Rick Segal (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Rick Segal, other than creating a view to hide the columns you don't want this isn't possible as all folders in a document library share the same columns as the parent.

Rob
Los Gallardos

Hi @RobElliott,

Ok.  I guess that kinda makes sense given it is a library.  I suspect that means for those folders needing to have different columns, you'd just make (add) document libraries, rename em, and go to town with whatever customization you want.

Thanks for the reply.

Rick

This is a very good example of a scenario in which creating another Library for Resumes would be a good solution. Whenever you have documents that need different metadata, another library is the way to go.

Hi @Dean Gross,

Indeed. Setting up a library for each macro 'bucket', makes total sense and was totally in the blindingly obvious category.  Bliss has ensued.  Well, until the next newbie, duh moment.

Thanks for responding!

Glad I could help. Everyone in this network was a newbie at one time or another, and with the continuous pace of change, we are all newbies at something. Keep asking questions, providing answers like this help us all learn together.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rick Segal (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Rick Segal, other than creating a view to hide the columns you don't want this isn't possible as all folders in a document library share the same columns as the parent.

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post