Custom Template in SharePoint

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to add a custom word template in SharePoint Online using the 'Add Template' option.

Syed_Sohail_1-1594858691526.png

However this new added template is only working for myself and for everyone else only blank webpage is opened. 

I'd really appreciate if you could kindly guide me in the right direction.

Also, i've noticed that other user can't even open the document created through this template from Admin user. I don't think it could be a permissioin issue, could this be?

Hi Guys,

I need an urgent help, I'll really appreciate your assistance.

Further to above: I've found that only a user with 'Full Control' on document library can create a file from this template. This is weired, as i can't give every user 'Full Control'

Best Regards,

Syed

13 Replies

@Syed_Sohail - have you tested adding it as a group/team/admin owner?

@varriano I created this template as Admin, this works for me only. No other user can create a document using this template, not even they can open a document created through this template.

Hi @Syed_Sohail 

There are numerous reasons this can happen, and I will not assume anything.  So let us start with the easy fixes first, and we can work our way on from there.

File Format 

The default behaviour in SharePoint Online is to open the docs using Office Word Online.  Therefore the file must be a docx and not a doc.  Former versions of documents do not work in Word / Excel Online.  Are you uploading a doc or docx file?  You do not need to use a dot or dotx file as the file you create as a template is already protected and it will create a new instance of it.  Even a text file can be used as a template.

If for any reason you do need to use a doc file format, you'll need to change the default behaviour in the Settings Gear cog --> Library settings --> Advanced Settings --> Opening documents in the browser --> Open in the client application.

Let me know if this works.  If you are already using docx, let me know and we'll try step 2.  :D

@daytamod Thanks for your response. Yes, i'm uploading a docx document, i tried dotx document as template as well.

Also, my default setting for opening documents is 'Open in the client application' as my users are more comfortable with opening documents directly in desktop applications (without any prompt)

I finally found that users need atleast Edit permissions on document library. This contradicted with the control i was using to restrict users create file / folder on the root.

Now my question is, Is there any way i can allow users to work with Templates without giving them additional permissions.

@Syed_Sohail 

I think that the standard library permissions should be sufficient but it may need some testing in your environment.

I'd also suggest reading some of the comments in this blog post on the topic, they may be useful for your deployment.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-sharepoint-blog/announcing-new-file-template-manage...

@Syed_Sohail 

If they are creating or editing documents, then definitely, they'll need something above Read or View.
You should be able to give them Contribute rights.  It's legacy SharePoint, but effectively that will allow them to create and edit documents, but it will give them read only to the library and site (they cannot edit either of these).
If you want them to create and not edit for any reason, you'll need to create a custom permission level.

@Steven Andrews could you please explain what is Standard user permissions? I've checked the URL you shared, could not find the required information.

@daytamod I did not want users to create folder / files on 1st two level, so they have view only permission. At level 3 I've given them read/write permissions. I've checked using tempalte with 'Contribute' permission on the library, it works but then it takes away the control to stop users creating files and folders on the root.

Secondly, is there any way through which we can create Deptt specific templates, for instance HR templates should be accessible to HR team only.

@Syed_Sohail "I did not want users to create folder / files on 1st two level, so they have view only permission. At level 3 I've given them read/write permissions. I've checked using tempalte with 'Contribute' permission on the library, it works but then it takes away the control to stop users creating files and folders on the root."

OK, I "believe you only want users to have permission to use a "specific" template at third level within their own folder allocated to them.  User permissions can only be assigned to "Sites", "Lists" and "Items" (folders are items)  but not to content types or templates.  If you set permissions to a folder, it is either all templates in the library or no templates. 

I think what you need for your solution is "Document Sets."  Document Sets are content types that act like super folders.  Once a document set "item" is created, you can assign user permissions to them.  So you can have one document set for HR, and one for Finance, etc. and you can created them in advance and stop the users creating their own.  But the clever thing is document sets allow you to specify which content types and templates are allowed in each.  You will need to create a document set content type for each department, and within each, you choose which template(s) it will allow.  You then create one document set in the library for each department using the departments content type.  The users will only see the template(s) you allow them to choose from, and they can only be created from within that particular document set.  

Does this sound like what you are looking for?  

@Syed_Sohail Following on from my previous comments on Document Sets, creating a library for each department and giving them exclusive permissions and templates is the easiest and most obvious, but I am assuming this is not feasible otherwise you would have done it.    :D

Did you get to the bottom of this? I’m in the same situation
Did you get to the bottom of this? I’m in the same situation.