Custom Admins for Sharepoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I am looking to delegate admin responsibilities for Sharepoint Online to support teams such as site creation, permission management, restore files etc. without providing them full admin rights.

Currently, there's only one role Sharepoint Admin and other one is site admins which i want to avoid.

I want only specific tasks that specific people can do.

Any ideas how this can be achieved and if this is something that's in roadmap for MS?

2 Replies

@v-2nran 

Hello,  by default, all internal users are able to create SharePoint sites.
Would it be possible for you to create a security group and add the admins into that group, for the specific sites? In that way, only manage what is necessary?

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand

@ArefHalmstrand Thanks Aref for highlighting the purpose however creation of site is not the only one i am aiming at. There are few other tasks like restore of files, managing permissions etc.

Though end users can do themselves however from support prospective these are bigger requirements.

Also, we are rolling out SPO only as of now without teams so we have disabled site creation and M365 groups for end users apart from Security group exception you mentioned.