CRITICAL SHAREPOINT ISSUES! ATTENTION MICROSOFT!

Copper Contributor

1. Some of my files have disappeared. I am waiting on technical support to get back to me. We checked in the first and second stage recycle bins, we tried searching all sites, we even ran an Audit, and there was nothing indicating the files were ever deleted...yet they are not there. Where did they go? A whole folder containing important training documents is just gone... You can run audit logs to see edits made by me, which proves they were there. It's incredibly scary and frustrating, and doesn't make sense.

2. We are getting random clones of files and sometimes entire folders called whatever the original is called, with a "-computername" slapped on the end. For example, a file called "Report" and then a duplicate right next to it called "Report-workstation37". And, what makes this really frustrating is the fact that SOME data is in the original, and SOME data is in the copy. So now, we have to go through and somehow merge the two back into one. If it's a big file....good luck. You need a separate app to do that for you, such as WinMerge. You shouldn't have to do that!! Why are so many duplicate files AND FOLDERS being created?? This just creates extra work for IT!! Many of us are using the OneDrive sync client, if that helps.

1 Reply

Had something similar occur about a week ago.

the other week i discovered by chance some odd deletions of both word docs and pdfs from my dms that i store in SP. From random folders in SharePoint.

No pattern to them other than an entire folder with four files that I had worked on recently. That’s the only reason I found out about the deletions: I had gone back to continue working on one of the documents.

They weren’t in the local deleted bin because I clear that every few days :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

First when MS tech and I looked nothing in the SharePoint recycle bins either. (there is a primary one w 90 day retention, then a secondary one).

The tech could see the deletions by me in the SP activity logs.

Most of them were done late one night first week of Nov and all within a couple of minutes of each. Random folders. Many of which I hadn’t touched in several years.

Too many too quickly to have been deleted manually.

I have a third party cloud backup of all Office 365 plus “litigation indefinite retention” so if I’m able to identify the missing files I can restore them. That’s a big “if”.

Even weirder is that two days later the SP recycle bin showed a bunch of deleted files including the specific ones I immediately needed.

i have ten year retention policy  with "no action" when max period reached, and litigation retention so I'm not so concerned about losing the docs. But not knowing what got or gets deleted is scary.

I've enabled notifications in daily summary of all deletions  to monitor to see if it recurrs.