Creating new SP communication site from existing SP document library

Copper Contributor

We have an existing Team Site that's built on top of a very important SP document library.

The Team Site was created awhile ago on top of a pre-existing document library, and it's not what we need. We want to delete it completely, and start over again with a Communication Site.

Can we delete simply delete the original Team Site and then create a new Communication Site on top of the same library — without affecting the original library in anyway?

I read this article , which seems to say that associated document libraries will go "poof" if the site is deleted.

2020-02-27_14-40-15.png

I don't know if it matters, but again, the document library pre-existed the site. It wasn't created by uploading files into the site, and building a document library that way.

2 Replies

@OldFatDog yes if you delete the site the library will be deleted with it.  Other than saving the library as a template with content, exporting it to your local system, deleting the site, recreate the site, upload the template, then use the template to re-create the library, i'm not sure how you would achieve this.

@OldFatDog 

You could create the new communications site and then migrate the content of the document library. If you have a migration tool this will be able to do it. Have a look at Mover.io as that looks to have the functionality. 

If its just the documents you want then you can use the inbuilt "Move" function on all the files but it is problematic if there are more than 25 top level items.