Creating internal parts order system in sharepoint

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I want to create a relative simple internal part ordering system in sharepoint. Which should look as follows.

I have a list of parts. The list itself has some columns like part number, article number, a picture, ....

From this list I want to able to select 1 (or if possible more items). This items should be send via email to our warehouse.

I implemented it with a simple flow as an intermediate solution where you can just change the status of one field and this triggers a flow with approval and an email to the warehouse afterwards. but I want to bring some more "spice" into it.

My ideal world would look like the technician (orderer) can select an item.

This item will show up in a new list where additional comments can be added

You could be able to remove items from this list if you have missselection or change number of needed items and so on.

Basically a shopping basket function.

At the end you should be able to "order" it.

Is this doable? How?

Thanks for your comments.

24 Replies
Take a look at Powerapps and SharePoint integration. It's launching any week now. This would be the ideal solution IMO for something like this.

Laura Rogers has tons of Powerhours going over Flow and Powerapp stuff. Highly recommend. Also check for Flow and PowerApp Ignite sessions, they talk and show alot of the integration coming as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WonderLaura67/videos

Well, my previous response is good if your using SharePoint Online and in First Release tenant. Otherwise it's alot more tricky.

Hi  Marco Wierschem

As per my opinion you can use SharePoint online list for managing the list Items.Using SharePoint workflow make business logic for delete the items or moving items in basket or another order list.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks

Manish

Thanks All..

I will try to go PowerApps. Which seem pretty straight forward. Hope to get this sorted.

Is someone already really familiar with PowerApps?

Is it possible to create a "list" on sharepoint out of powerApps? Or can I only work on already existing lists?

No actions out of the box, there might be some form of HTTP call rigging you could do but I wouldn't recommend it. Why would you want to have a bunch of lists created? Doesn't seem the logical way of going about something and could get messy very fast.

I was just thinking about creating a shopping list for each "shop order" but of course I can handle this through a more global "order history" list. Which might be the better way anyhow.

I have not digged to deep. I am just thinking about my "approach" to this as this is a little more complex than the easy stuff I did so far on sharepoint and flow.

My idea is to have a power app running on my article list and this will fill an order list where I have some more possiblities.

e.g. putting additional comment. Adding a picture. requesting technical clarification (this will actually route the order to a different mail address) ,....

So I need more information (columns than I have in my article list which I do not want to touch).

One more thing which came up in the meanwhile.

Are there any restrictions for new experience lists????

Because the issue I have.

I have a list which is filled with articles + pictures (or links to pictures).

This list always shows up in the old sharepoint design and also gives me some hassle when trying to build power apps with this list. :(

Hi Marco, 

There are some restrictions using SharePoint lists.

The full description of the SharePoint connection you can find here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/connections/connection-sharepoint-online.

The restrictions are not based on if a list uses modern or classic experience. The restrictions are based on column types. 

You can use pictures in SharePoint list, but for now there is only support for read only from PowerApps. 

OK, will Go through this.

I was wondering because in the list which holds pictures as links even the column names are strange.
I supposed it ist linkes too the list type nur i have seen that it ist Not possible for this list top switch to new experience.

@Marco Wierschem, could it be that you created the list using the 'New App'-option in SharePoint instead of 'New List'? A lot of the so called Apps (which are basically lists with already some configuration added to it) only work in classic mode. Usually because some technique is used that does not work yet in modern mode. If you create lists with the 'New List' option on a modern site you get the list in modern mode from the start.

Another reason could be that in de list settings under advanced settings the list experience is set to classic mode. 

I created the list as an Export from Excel.

"Export to Sharepoint" Out of the excle Menü ribbon

My guess is that this feature is not supported for modern lists. So the list will only work in classic mode.

Kinda Looks Like, yes.

Any other way to get a list from Excel into Sharepoint otherwise IT will endlich in a Nightmare of typing 300 list linkes into Sharepoint. :persevering_face:

You could use PowerShell (PnP PowerShell: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/pnp_powershell/pnp-powershell-overview#lists) to create the lists and add the items. 

Thanks Rebekka,

so I need to ask our admins as I am only site owner.

I will build my app on a short list and ask them later :)

It could be you are able to do this as a site owner, since you have the rights to create lists on the site. But you have to know some PowerShell.

Will give it a try....but after i tested my app with a small list.

Running into the next issue :(

Multiselect choices columns are not supported in powerapps.

I want to bypass this as I will just make it single choice and create multiple lines of the same item with only this one multichoice column different.

This will end up in multiple lines for one item. In my view I want to only show this line one time but i want to be able to filter on all options in this one column which replaces my multiselect.

Is this possible?