Create Universal Metadata Columns for all my sites in tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/

Copper Contributor

total newb question.. Using sharepoint online

I would like to create some universal metadata columns that will trickle down to all the sites I am creating under the the /sites/ collection.   Most of the departments in my company use a universal set of metadata columns, and i want to make sure that if someone does a search on one of these universal metadata columns across sites, that they get a good result (assuming they have permissions to search these sites of course)

My first thought was that i was going to have to create one "root" site and put all the sites underneath it as hubs or sites - but that does not sound right to me... because then every department would be /sites/rootsite/department . 

I have created metadata columns in https://tenant.sharepoint.com/ and they dont trickle down.

Any thoughts? 

2 Replies

Crickets.. i cant believe that im the only that wants to make universal metadata columns within the /sites/ site collection..

Hi @RioRene ,

I have the same question! I am creating a column with a link, that connects to a flow for quality assurance/revision/Inspecting documents, triggered by "on select".

Thanks to WonderLaura, I found the way to have a single flow for this actions, independently of which library or site the flow is triggered from (same flow across multiple sites).
But now, I am stuck on finding a way to implement this column, that is formatted with JSON code, in multiple sites, and more importantly, that appears by default automatically when a new site is created. Is really not an option?