Create custom sharepoint online site via teams

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

When you create a new team in Teams, it automatically create a sharepoint team site. But, the created site always use the default site template. 

1. Is it possible to create a team that will use a custom site template to make its sharepoint site? 

I also know it is possible to create a custom site ( that will create a new office group) and after that, create a team in microsoft Teams from this group and link the site to teams. But it is in 2 steps. 

2. So is it possible to automatically create a team in Teams when you create a site? With a workflow for example.

So, in conclusion, I would like to find a way to create a team and its site with a custom template in one step. I take all ideas ^^  

3 Replies
Yes, what you have to do is once the Team and the site is created to apply your template assuming you are using PnP behind the scenes or even Site Scripts + Site Designs

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Ok, but I know nothing about PnP. I should precise I'm a beginner with Sharepoint :)

But here, it is in 2 steps, isn't it? Because you have to create the team first and after you have to go in Sharepoint to apply the template, right? 

I would like to apply all these settings from Teams only.
So, if someone create a sales team for example, he doesn't have to go in Sharepoint to apply the "sales template" because it will automatically do that. 

Or if someone create a site in Sharepoint, he doesn't have to go in Teams to create the team after. 

Is it possible with the pnp things? 

You could use site scripts and site designs for this. You could add your site script to the default site design used for team sites. This way it will always be used. You could add a Flow or Logic app to it to do exotic things not supported yet in the site scripts. This way you could also have logic to determine to apply something or not based on the fact that it is Team or not.