Create a button with new news post linked to templates

Copper Contributor

Hi,

On a SharePoint online site I want to restrict users to the menu of creating new pages, lists, librarys etc.

Instead I want to create a button with "create news post".

I tried the: https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName/_layouts/15/CreatePageFromTemplate.aspx but this only creates a new page not a new news post.

I don't want a new page since I afterwards when i publish I get a pop-up with "help others find you page". I dont want that.

Also, what permissions should I use at the site to restrict users to not seeing the menu but being able with the button to see the own-created templates, not only the build in templates.

4 Replies

@THOREX depends on your site and the settings you can setup audience targeting:

Enabling Audience Targeting for Navigational Links on SharePoint Online: A Step-by-Step Guide - Micr...

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Thanks Jennifer but would you mind elaborating on what you mean, I need a link to create new news post via a button and turn off the menu.
If you still think Audience Targeting is the right way please explain how.

@THOREX Use link in below format to create a new news post: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName/_layouts/15/CreatePageFromTemplate.aspx?source=/sites/siteName/&promotedState=1

Also, you can hide New option in site pages library using JSON view formatting: 

{
  "commandBarProps": {
    "commands": [
      {
        "key": "new",
        "hide": true
      }
    ]
  }
}

Output

ganeshsanap_0-1677662354041.pngDocumentationCommand bar customization syntax reference 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

Wow thanks a million. I have searched for this createpagefromtemplate.apx option for a long long time.