Copying SharePoint folder library to another site and retain permissions?

Copper Contributor

I have a folder library on one site, with about 250 folders and sub-folders. I have 6 different groups, and each folder have very specific permissions as to which groups can view or edit documents in each folder. Eg. Sponsor, monitor, data manager etc.

At our work we set up a new sharepoint site for each study conducted. I would like to use this folder structure and permissions as a template, and copy it over to each site. Is there a way I am able to retain permissions on these folders without having to re-grant permissions each time?

At the same time, members of each group will be separate for each study. For example ‘Monitors’  will be a different for each study, so if I grant groups with permissions across other sites, I don’t want monitors from one study, and one site, to be able to access the folder in another study, and another site.

I have found Powershell scripts which allow folder libraries to be copied to a new site and retain meta data, but is there any way I can retain permission access without having to individually grant folder permissions when the folder library is copied to each site?

2 Replies
Yep, if you use PnP as your provisioning mechanism yo can replicate your folder structure and security applied in any site

@Juan Carlos González Martín Thank you! Could you explain a little further how to go about this? If I then create a second site specific group at the new site "eg. monitor" would it have the same permissions on the folder library as a seperate "monitor" group from the original site?