SOLVED

Copy text column to a person column (in the same list)

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone, 

Is possible copy a column with text itens into a new one set with 'person' ?

I can't use calculated column because there's no 'person' mode on it.

I got data from excel and it came with text (in name column), but I need that the names are in 'person' mode, because I'll use on PowerApps. I just need copy to a new person column, because of historical and start get new data on PowerApps later.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance

1 Reply
best response confirmed by t1agow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@t1agow 

You cannot set/update person or group column using text column. In SharePoint, person or group column is stored by using user ID (ID of user in hidden User Information List).

Maybe you can try below workaround:

1. Create a Power automate flow on item creation or a scheduled flow. The flow will search for users using flow action based on the text column.
  2. Then you can ensure user is already added to SharePoint using Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action.
  3. With this, you will get the SharePoint user ID & using this ID you can set the person or group column in list

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by t1agow (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@t1agow 

You cannot set/update person or group column using text column. In SharePoint, person or group column is stored by using user ID (ID of user in hidden User Information List).

Maybe you can try below workaround:

1. Create a Power automate flow on item creation or a scheduled flow. The flow will search for users using flow action based on the text column.
  2. Then you can ensure user is already added to SharePoint using Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action.
  3. With this, you will get the SharePoint user ID & using this ID you can set the person or group column in list

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post