Copy or Move Site Page from one site to another

Brass Contributor

Hello, I've been searching to see if this is possible but it appears with the modern experience, you can only copy a site page to the same Site Pages library in the same site.  If I switch my view to Classic Experience, I can copy a site page to another site if I put in the URL path to the other site's Site Pages library.  Does anyone know if this will be available in the modern experience?  We have to use ShareGate currently to copy modern pages from one site to another but we would like to have the ability to do this in the SharePoint UI.   Thanks, Thao

35 Replies

@sthieu Question: How do you switch to an other sitecollection in the Sitemanager when clicked Copy to?

How to switch to another sitecollection in sitemanager when select a page and clicked copy to
sorry Andre, I was mistaken, it was only to another sub web. You will have to use one of the other options in the thread
Oké thanks

@kevincbutler 

Hi,

I`m always getting this error, any thoughts on that? I did everything by the tutorial, step by step. 

alinazak_0-1634716171155.png

It's only possible with Power Automate at this moment. You have to build a flow

@kevincbutler 

I can also move pages to new site, but everyting on the site (all site assets) are linked to old site even though I copied it on new site. Can you please help with this? I would like to delete the old site so everything should link to the destination site.

Thoroughly realise that this a rant but....

Why in all that is sensible and logical is this so difficult?! I get and accept the whole challenge of updating where resources live.... its web and HTML. If you don't update the hyperlink its going to point to the original source. Do I think its possible to automate the update - hell yeah - especially given that 3rd party products seem to be able to do it. Right now I would settle for the ability to simply copy and paste the raw web files and associated documents.... why oh why can I download one page but not a whole site's worth?!

We shouldn't have to build work arounds in other products to do something simple like file copying! Its  things like this that make people run Linux!

@sthieu I don't see option Move to/ Copy to enabled at my site.

Four years on and this issue remains. I can't blame users when they get frustrated at SharePoint for lacking the most basic features...

It looks like this feature will never be implemented and we are just telling that to our users. It really sucks. 

@Thao Pham-Aaltonen 

As I mentioned above, it's easy enough to copy pages to other sites using SP Designer, but it's pretty shocking Msft hasn't added a ui option to do this.

Found this video that helped me move SharePoint Online Pages. Using Power Automate. You will need to update any image and links that are not correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjmgVGCwZfM

@sthieu I'm able to open the old admin tool and copy a page, but how do I get it in another site? I don't see other sites in the destination.

Regards
A

@kevincbutler This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Hi @Thao Pham-Aaltonen,

you can also use "PnP Powershell" and a provisioning template to copy site pages to different site collections 

First install PnP Powershell and the execute this script

Connect-PnPOnline https://yourtenant.sharepoint.com/sites/mysite -Interactive

Get-PnPSiteTemplate -Out ".\pages.xml" -Handlers PageContents -Includeallclientsidepages

This will give you an XML file containing all the client side pages of that site. Now you can edit that file and remove the pages you don't want to transfer. Then connect to the target site and apply the template

Connect-PnPOnline https://mytenant.sharepoint.com/sites/othersite -Interactive

Invoke-PnPSiteTemplate ".\pages.xml"

A little bit overdone if you just want to transfer a single page but works really well if you want to transfer multiple pages.

Although this is also an external tool like Sharegate it is at least free.

Best Regards,
Sven

Great suggestion for if you are working with site collections with a hierarchy of sub-sites!
Unfortunately, with the new Microsoft best practice to follow a flat architecture and not use subsites, the Site Manager technique, is a dead-end as you can't (from what I can see) select another site collection.