SOLVED

Convert site content to modern experience

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I have an Intranet site in SP online. The home page of the parent site and any subsites is in classic view. Doc libraries are in modern view. How can I convert the homepages to modern? I've tried creating a page from a modern doc library, but when selecting the modern page in the Site Pages, I have no option to make it the homepage.

Or, if it's easier, I can just create a new site and sub-site from scratch. Would I be able to transfer the site contents to the new modern site?

Thanks

2 Replies
best response confirmed by mikbai (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mikbai  the first thing to do is to go to your Site Pages library, click on the 3 dots next to the current homepage and select Rename. I always rename it to Home-original but it doesn't matter at all what you rename it to as you won't be using the page again.

Still in the Site Pages library and making sure that no pages are selected, click on +New button in the top left and select Site page. That will open a basic modern page for editing. Name your page Home in the header area and then click Publish in the top right.

Go back to the Site Pages library, click the 3 dots next to the new Home page and select Make Homepage.

makeHomepage.png

All pages you create from now on will be in the modern experience and lists and libraries will be as well.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@RobElliott Thank you. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by mikbai (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@mikbai  the first thing to do is to go to your Site Pages library, click on the 3 dots next to the current homepage and select Rename. I always rename it to Home-original but it doesn't matter at all what you rename it to as you won't be using the page again.

Still in the Site Pages library and making sure that no pages are selected, click on +New button in the top left and select Site page. That will open a basic modern page for editing. Name your page Home in the header area and then click Publish in the top right.

Go back to the Site Pages library, click the 3 dots next to the new Home page and select Make Homepage.

makeHomepage.png

All pages you create from now on will be in the modern experience and lists and libraries will be as well.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

View solution in original post