SOLVED

Contributor access permission not working but Full Control in SharePoint online?

Copper Contributor

I own a department SharePoint online ( Office 365 version). Every time I grant contributor permission to our contributors for a list, they don't see their names in People and Group columns and values on some columns blank. It works well when Full Control is given. What has gone wrong with my setting, any help on this? Thanks

3 Replies

@Narayan_Khatiwada 

Try to add a group and assign a contributor and see if it's working or not?

best response confirmed by Narayan_Khatiwada (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thank you @ Alireza Rahimifarid !

Here is the answer: I figured out the reason why people needed to have Full Control to see the items in the list in SharePoint online. The reason was - In list Versioning Settings, I selected Content approval to "Yes" but forgot to change the  radio-button option at the bottom that says Verify that the Draft Item Security settings area is set to the Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item). Having this setting in the SharePoint doesn't allow people to have a complete view of the list or documents even if they have Reader or Contributor access permission. Only Full Control (site owners) can see the items in these cases. To correct this, in Who should see drafts in this library/lists library?, I selected either Any users who can read items or only users who can edit items based on needs. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Narayan_Khatiwada (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Thank you @ Alireza Rahimifarid !

Here is the answer: I figured out the reason why people needed to have Full Control to see the items in the list in SharePoint online. The reason was - In list Versioning Settings, I selected Content approval to "Yes" but forgot to change the  radio-button option at the bottom that says Verify that the Draft Item Security settings area is set to the Only users who can approve items (and the author of the item). Having this setting in the SharePoint doesn't allow people to have a complete view of the list or documents even if they have Reader or Contributor access permission. Only Full Control (site owners) can see the items in these cases. To correct this, in Who should see drafts in this library/lists library?, I selected either Any users who can read items or only users who can edit items based on needs. 

View solution in original post