SOLVED

Content type not tied to document type

Brass Contributor

I want the functionality of content type (tying metadata to a document) but want to apply to all document types, i.e. xls, doc, ppt, etc.   Any suggestions?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by JLK2004 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@JLK2004 Content type can store any type files as long as it follow the metadata you defined them to follow as shown below:

Vikram_Samal_0-1590607245590.png

But yes if you select from new it will be controlled by a specific template and the reason being you expect all document to follow similar pattern.

Vikram_Samal_1-1590607275475.png

But you can always have a way to by pass but in that case you have to define multiple content Type and name something like:

1. Custom Content Type - Word 
  2. Custom Content Type - Excel
  3. Custom Content Type - PDF

All should follow the same metadata but each will have their template defined at the content type level. Though I will never opt this approach unless cant convince the end user :)

I hope this gives you some directions to think. Mark the response appropriately if it help you finding the solution.

Thanks

Vik

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JLK2004 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@JLK2004 Content type can store any type files as long as it follow the metadata you defined them to follow as shown below:

Vikram_Samal_0-1590607245590.png

But yes if you select from new it will be controlled by a specific template and the reason being you expect all document to follow similar pattern.

Vikram_Samal_1-1590607275475.png

But you can always have a way to by pass but in that case you have to define multiple content Type and name something like:

1. Custom Content Type - Word 
  2. Custom Content Type - Excel
  3. Custom Content Type - PDF

All should follow the same metadata but each will have their template defined at the content type level. Though I will never opt this approach unless cant convince the end user :)

I hope this gives you some directions to think. Mark the response appropriately if it help you finding the solution.

Thanks

Vik

View solution in original post