Content Query functionality on modern SPO site

Copper Contributor

Hi all. I am wondering if there is a way to replicate the site selection functionality of the old Content Query web part, with the Highlighted content web part or something similar. With the old CQ part you could select the site you want to pull from and then filter from there. With Highlighted Content it doesn't give you the option to select another site to pull from, it's only within the current site. Is there anyway to pull in content from another site - and then filter it like you would with Highlighted Content? Thanks all. dB.

3 Replies

@DallasBland, While using highlighted content web part: 

1. In the Source dropdown, choose: Select sites option
  2. When you select Select sites, you can search for the site you want to add, or select one or more sites from Frequent sites, or Recent sites. You can select up to 30 sites.

f626b6e2-dbc9-4e26-b79d-e1c5678a1471

Reference: Use the Highlighted content web part 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thank you for your response. I think I had discovered that actually. But if in the source field I select 'A document library in this site' then when I get down to 'Filter' I get the option to sort by a column where I can choose a column I have created. But If I 'Select sites' in the sources, then when I go down to filter I don't get the option to filter by a column. I only get the options in the attached image. Choosing 'Select site' changes the options you get after that choice. I need to be able to select a site, then filter by columns that I have created.

@DallasBland, If you want to filter by the custom columns you created then you need to create a managed property for you custom columns. Then you can select a Managed property option in Filter dropdown and apply your filters

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.