Connecting classic sharepoint site to office 365 group permissions issue

Copper Contributor

When selecting to move to an office 365 group, Im getting the following....

Security groups with permissions detected
We detected the following security groups with permissions on this site:  You'll need to add the members of these security groups individually if you want to give them access to group applications.

Now the group is an on premise AD group synced up to azure AD and is an admin based group, its not mentioning other security groups that come form the same on premise AD and has uses nested in them.

Can anyone let me know what the implications are, and the reason for it? admittedly there arent alot of users in this group so no a drastic thing but it seems to be an issue as it is an admin group

4 Replies

Hello @Anthony_Prieto,

We have experienced the same issue in our tenant. O365 Groups can't resolve the membership of the AD security group. We worked with our Microsoft rep and the recommendation was to move to Azure AD Dynamic Groups.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Thanks @Norman Young 

Seems a bit of pain to have to create that, don't you have to have a premium licence to use Azure AD Dynamic groups?

@Anthony_Prieto agreed, it is a pain and as I understand things premium is required.

As an alternative, you could use PowerShell to keep the O365 Group in sync with the AD group. I've done in the past for Power BI Group management.

I hope this helps.

Norm

@Norman Young thanks, to be fair there's not a great amount of people in there, so its not hard to recreate a new group.

We recently migrated a file server across to sharepoint online, so all the permissions are in, and luckily the group in question is a top level group so should inherit quite well!!

Thanks again