Confused? I have new modern team sites but what about my root site collection's pages?

Brass Contributor

I can create modern pages on newly created subsites, but what do I do with my root site collection (https://_____.sharepoint.com/SitePages/Home Page.aspx).  I believe that it's a publishing site. Any pages added here are still 'old style' pages, not modern.

How do I fix that - or should I even be able to? I'd like to convert my root pages to modern but I can't?

Thx

8 Replies

I'm confused too. I have the opposite problem. I can create new modern pages at the root of the default site collection, but I can't create them in one of the two subsites of this collection. I can also create them in an entirely new site collection.

The root site collection indeed is based on publishing site template that has a classic experience behaviour for the limitations as outlined in the article Differences between the new document library experience and classic mode.

My understanding is that modern pages are based on SharePoint Online team sites and changes to pubslishing sites are coming in H! Calendar 2017 as per the SharePoint Roadmap (slide 15).

hope this helps.

I have the same issue, but on a seperate root site collection that I'm fairly sure was set up as a team site. Subsites under it have the new experience as do any newly created root site collections, just not this older one. It picks up the modern experience in most places but the sitepages library has not upgraded.

Any ideas?

Same issue on my root site collection and subsites under it, even if they are created as team sites. I can add the content type to the site pages library, but when I try to create the page using that I get "Cannot create a Site Page. Please have your administrator enable the required feature on this site." Thats pretty  criptic unless there is a hidden feature I need to go activate. My guess is that Ill just have to wait until the publishing update comes.

I decided to open a support case about it as it seemed odd that this one place did not have the setting. Apparently it will get sorted out eventually.

I wonder when they will release the publishing features as we're about to undertake a comparision between SharePoint and Moodle? Site Pages are still on the basic side although they've added a couple of controls.

Any updates after creating a ticket? Have the same problem here. The Sitepages I create at the top level don't work while they do at Subsite level. Was asked to enable a feature using SPFeatureCommander (b6917cb1-93a0-4b97-a84d-7cf49975d4ec). It worked for a couple of minutes this morning and now it's not working anymore. All I see is a bar on top and no way to edit the page. Have create two more tickets because the main Site is shown using the classic view in the SharePoint app and the submenu for the global navigation is not clickable on Subsites. 

nothing.JPG