Conditionally require column based on value of another

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I have a status column in SharePoint Online and another column named "Resolution Type".

Both columns are of type "Choice".

What I want to do is that when Status is changed to "Resolved", a value from the "Resolution Type" will need to be selected before the form can be saved.

Any help, would be appreciated.

7 Replies

@Chris Cundy Add list validation formula from List settings --> Validation settings. Set formula something like: 

=IF([Status] = "Resolved", IF(ISBLANK([Resolution Type]), false, true), true)

ganeshsanap_0-1624385631503.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thanks for your update. my case is a bid different. for instance you have used Resolved in ur example, but my case is Resolved and In Progress. If the users select either Resolved or In Progress the other column should become require field. Can you please help with this one. I have used && or AND, none of them works.

@Harris0261 Use formula like below:

=IF(OR([Status] = "In Progress", [Status] = "Resolved"), IF(ISBLANK([Resolution Type]), false, true), true)

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap how can I write the code if I have multiple status drop downs that need to have different columns. For instance:

Status "Under Review" needs to display the field "Request Initiated Close Date" and if

status "Case Opened" need to display the field "Under Review Close Date" and if

status "Resolution in Progress" need to display the field "Case Opened Close Date"

I've been trying for hours to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have:
=IF(OR([Status] = "Under Review", [Status] = "Waiting for Customer"), IF(ISBLANK([Request Initiated Close Date])OR([Status] = "Case Opened", IF(ISBLANK([Under Review Close Date])OR([Status] = "Resolution in Progress", IF(ISBLANK([Case Opened Close Date]) false, true), true)

@ganeshsanap 

Thanks for your answer.

I have a column called 'Status' with two values - Completed and Not Completed.

Depending on 'Status' column value if it is "Completed", I need to auto populate another column which is a date column called " Completed Date"  How can I populate today's date ?

@kott2005 If you want to store the date on which day the status is changed to "Completed", you can do it using:

1. Power Apps: Customize SharePoint list form using Power Apps and set date column value using Power Apps formulas when status changes to Completed
  2. Power Automate: Run Power Automate flow on item change (When item is modified trigger). Add trigger condition to run the flow only when the completed date is null/empty. Inside flow, you can check if the status is equal to completed, use update item action to update the completed date column to current date - utcNow().

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.