Communication Sites - Navigation for external users not showing above 1024px

Copper Contributor

I've managed to successfully enable sharing via PowerShell (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Anonymous-Sharing-not-working-with-Communication-s...) for a couple of new Communication sites which we are testing.

When I try logging into the site as an external user, I notice that the top navigation doesn't show above the 1024px break point.   Below, the 1024px breakpoint, the burger menu shows and all the associated navigation options. 

I also noticed that the font for the main logo looks odd so I'd imagine there is a stylesheet or other that is missing due to some permission issue.

1024px-external-usr.JPG

1023px-external-usr.JPG

Regards

Pete

18 Replies

I'm experiencing the same, do we have any update

Same issue here. Reposted this on uservoice forum. Hope this gets attention. I need this new interface for external users, but it is kind of useless now.

I had the same experience. In my case, the reason for this strange behaviour was that my users (not external though...) wasn't "first release" users. Once I activated first release, the user interface looked as expected. A few weeks later, it worked for ALL users. I guess it was because the full functionality had been rolled out to our tenant at that time.

Problem for me is sharing to external users not internal, I know both tenants are on 'first release' and the associated users.
Yes, I did understand that. What I meant was that in some of my tenants, the sites look fine even for external users. That is why I think it could be because of the rollout pace. I really have no idea, it is just a guessing game :)
I have built identical communication sites on both tenants ....so assumed the same experience viewing the site externally or internally. yes, I'm guessing too....

If it helps, the described issue for external users seems to apply NOT just to communication sites but also affects team sites using modern pages (above the 1024 px etc...). Nav disappears, user name disappears from top right etc...

This is indeed a deal breaker for extranet scenarios at the moment. And a blocker to launch a project I'm soon done with.

Hoping Ignite won't mess up the focus of this one. Without top nav, there is no way for an external user to navigate away from a news article for example.

I'd hate to roll my own navn using SPFx extensions just for this.

cc @Mark Kashman @Dan Holme.

Do you have the uservoice link for this one?

Hi All

We also have a project that is supposed to be launched soon.

Which is built on communication sites and we have thousands of external users.

Please everyone upvote the user voice page

Hi All

This could be a related issue

The External Users profile does not appear on pages in the site, but does in site contents.

This meaning the only way for them to logout, is to navigate to site contents click their profile and log out

Home Page example (no profile)

image.png

Site Contents Example

aaaaa.png

Cheers

Alex Bunning

This appears to be fixed now.

I have checked two tenants and external users are able to see the navigation. :)

Is this the same for everyone else?

Kind Regards

Alex Bunning

Hi Alex,

Good spotting.  I've just checked two of our tenants now and the top navigation is showing in both of these instances.  I've also checked a standard site which has modern pages (this previously suffered from the same issue), and this is now working also.

Thanks

Pete

Yes, I can confirm the bug with the top navigation for external users appears to be fixed.

The bug with the logout menu is still remaining, thou a bit less critical.

Thanks for the upvoting

@Alex Bunning wrote:

This appears to be fixed now.

I have checked two tenants and external users are able to see the navigation. :)

Is this the same for everyone else?

Kind Regards

Alex Bunning

Indeed, and in the nick of time as we're going live today :)