Communication sites Fixed Header/Footer

Iron Contributor

Has there been any thought of changing the way the header of modern communications sites work?  Because they are fixed on some smaller screens the real estate left for content can get very small.  This is especially apparent when the site is connected to a Hub site when you happen to have custom Header/footer extensions (As they are also fixed) and maybe even the new social footer bar enabled. 

I think A header that collapses vertically when the users scrolls down would be a welcomed feature.

Team sites don't have the fixed header and it gives the user a lot more vertical space for content.  Is there any plans for the future that would give the users a choice of the type of navigation that is used on a page during creation (Teams and Comm)?  For example you may want to create a site that uses the Communications site navigation stype for the homepage which has the navigation on the top, but then in other pages in the site use the Team site style that has the navigation down the side. 

Just some ideas that users may find attractive.

Thanks, 

4 Replies

Please refer previous post below. It has ample samples and workarounds for the same . Hope it helps.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/SharePoint/Header-area-for-Modern-Pages/td-p/30597

Yes, this helps with the large page headers (And now there is also the option to remove them in the interface) but I'm talking more about the Fixed header on Comm sites.  When you scroll the header (and any footers) are always present which really cuts into your useable space.  if you look at the attached image you can see how the entire header and the social footer are always present and limit the usable space for content.

maybe I'm missing something

Probably you need to use Application customizer to adjust fixed header and footer on communication site.

Is it advisable to use extension to play with header section as the header dom can be changed by the Microsoft in future?