Communication Site not a template under "New Subsite" or SharePoint Admin

Brass Contributor

The new Communication site has reached us. It looks very promising, but I noticed that the only way to create one is from the SharePoint home page "Create a Site" menu. Once I have a Communication site, I'd expect to be able to create subsites under the main communication site that use the same template and are communication sites, but I can't right now (see screenshot). I'd also expect to be able to create them from the SharePoint admin page. It looks like it isn't a template option under either place. Is this intentional? Or should I expect it to appear these places too?

12 Replies

Can you create one using PnPPowershell and specifying the template 'SITEPAGEPUBLISHING#0'  as in New-PnPTenantSite -Url $siteUrl -Owner $siteOwner -StorageQuota $siteStorage -Lcid $siteLocale -ResourceQuota $siteResource -Template $siteTemplate -TimeZone $siteTime -Title $siteTitle

Where $siteTemplate = SITEPAGEPUBLISHING#0

BTW - Thanks for asking I am also interested in the answer.  - Greg

I guess this is just "a design" question for now...with Communication Sites is happening the same thing we have with modern team sites: you can create then only as Site Collections from the SharePoint landing page...you can create subsites under a communication sites and user modern pages and WebParts to have a "similar" look & feel to what you have in a communication site
All that is coming with the new SharePoint Admin center only.... though no idea when that is being rolled-out
:-)...we might have clue about when the new SPO stuff could com: Ignite...but let's see

We also need the ability to create Communication sub-sites. It's what's stopping us from fully adopting them.

@Mohammad Housaini Yep this is total BS. The Modern ui is nowhere near ready for production use. 

@matt howell The IA recommendations proposed by Microsoft, are to avoid sub sites all together and to use a Flat Architecture for all of your sites. 

@Mohammad Housaini what is your example scenario for needing communication sub-sites?

Bit harsh, all depends on particular use case, for the majority I feel modern is now ready and classic migrations should be of a priority

@Warwick Ward Hi Warwick.  Here is my situation where I would like to use a communication sub-site.  We are developing an internal company portal.  The HR department has a site, for content relevant to all employees.  They also need to develop a set of modern site pages that are relevant to and only viewable by supervisors.  This would best be served by a subsite, but they are unhappy with the difference in the look and feel between a communications site and a team site.

@Mike-FSA Sub sites are no longer "recommended" by Microsoft.  A couple options would be to just permission the pages that are relevant to those supervisors on the same site. Or, turn the HR site into a Hub site and create an associated communication site for your supervisors to read content from HR or content living in the associated site.