Column Width in Sharepoint List

Copper Contributor

I have a modern site that has a column for state which is abbreviated i.e. IL, MT, FL but I cannot get the column width to decrease. I am using Sharepoint Online. Can anyone help me with decreasing the size of the column? Thank you!

8 Replies
Can anyone please assist?

Hi @Tammy Bruns,

You can use JSON column formatting. You may want to decrease (rename) the column name width as well (manually). Example below:

clipboard_image_0.png

Sample JSON code:

{
"$schema": "https://developer.microsoft.com/json-schemas/sp/column-formatting.schema.json",
"elmType": "div",
"txtContent": "@currentField",
"style": {
"width": "50px"
}
}

I hope this helps.

Norm

@Norman Young Thank you but that does not allow me to move the column slider (Header) to decrease it. That does decrease the acutal column size but the the column visually stays the same. I would like to be able to move the slider (highlighted in picture) so that it decreases the column. Is there a JSON that would accomplish that?

11-15-2019 10-52-14 AM.jpg

Hi @Tammy Bruns,

I have not seen any code examples that will do that. It might be possible but I can't say for sure.

I hope this helps.

Norm

I had been looking into this a while back, and the best information I had found, was describing how to use a web part and java script to accomplish this. I was unable to follow it through as I don't have the right permission levels and had since given up on trying. I still believe that this is probably the only option at the moment. It involved downloading a piece of java script, uploading to the SharePoint site assets, then adding a web part. It didn't look overly complicated. If I manage to find the website that I was looking at, I will put more info in here
Hi Norm. I tried using your code on a SharePoint classic column, but it did not increase the width if I chose e.g. 200px

Please note my column is a rich text field:

Column name:
The type of information in this column is:
Multiple lines of text
BUMP!

https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/43399098-sharepoi...

It's not possible. I've been trying for ages. Vote at the site above to put an end to this.
Has there been any progress since you posted? Seems like an absurd issue to have haha