SOLVED

Column validation formula for numbers and special character, no alpha characters

Copper Contributor

Hello. I'm trying to write a column validation formula for a column that should only accept numbers (0-9) and these special characters ("$", "%", ",", "."). Could someone please advise me on how I could exclude alpha characters from the field? I tried this syntax, but I exceeded the character limit before the alphabet was complete. 

=AND(IF(ISERROR(FIND("a",field_7)),TRUE),IF(ISERROR(FIND("b",field_7)),TRUE),IF(ISERROR(FIND("c",field_7)),

3 Replies

@meredithhurston 

According to below thread, SharePoint Column Validation cannot support such a complex RegEx Expression.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/519981/sharepoint-column-validation-regex.html

Here you can use Power Apps for your list form and there you can implement validation using Regular Expression. https://wonderlaura.com/2019/07/23/powerapps-text-input-pattern-validation/

Hope it will helpful to you.

Thank you, @kalpeshvaghela. This is helpful.  I will try this today. I'm creating the list to use with a powerapps form, so this should be perfect. Thank you for the reference. 

best response confirmed by meredithhurston (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@meredithhurston 

Addition to @kalpeshvaghela response, here's Microsoft official documentation for pattern matches (RegEx) in Power Apps: IsMatch, Match, and MatchAll functions in Power Apps 

Documentation covers special characters, predefined patterns (Digit, Email, Space, etc.) and lot of example to understand it easily.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by meredithhurston (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@meredithhurston 

Addition to @kalpeshvaghela response, here's Microsoft official documentation for pattern matches (RegEx) in Power Apps: IsMatch, Match, and MatchAll functions in Power Apps 

Documentation covers special characters, predefined patterns (Digit, Email, Space, etc.) and lot of example to understand it easily.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post