Column formatting now rolling out to first release users

Microsoft

Hi all,

I would like to update you all on the rollout progress of the column formatting feature.  Today, we begun rolling this feature out to first release users.  All first release users will have the capability by the middle of next week (Wednesday, November 8th).  After that, we'll begin rolling out to first release tenants.  All tenants worldwide will have this feature by the end of November.

Here are some handy links to help you get started with column formatting:

• My session from Ignite 2017 where I talk about many of the new capabilities in lists and libraries, including column formatting.  Skip to 29:50 to view the portion of the talk devoted to column formatting.
  • Column formatting overview - a high level overview of the column formatting capability
  • Column formatting reference documentation - complete technical documentation on the capabilities provided, including many samples that will help you get started
  • Community sample repository - this is a Git repository where you can contribute useful samples that demonstrate how to use the feature, or accomplish common user scenarios.  We've seeded this repository with some of the samples from our reference documentation, and we're hoping to see lots of submissions from the community. 

We are very eager to hear your feedback on this feature, and hear your suggestions on how we can make it more useful.

31 Replies

So, I should have stated yesterday that it was the "Title" column where this is not persisting.

(In this doclib, Title is only a line of text, no link to edit, etc.)

In other columns, working fine.

@Deleted; @Juan Carlos González Martín

Owen, yes looks like you are right ... all other columns seem to work, just not the title column.

And in another tenant, the new doclib has a "Name" column, and it works fine there.

I can't get a "Title" column in a new doclib. This is a migrated doclib that still has a TItle column - perhaps there is some artifact that persisted there. But there must be a lot of doclibs that have both "Title" and "Name" still out there. - let's hope it's still worth a fix for "Title".? Or, maybe I can be told what I need to clear out of this doclib.

Thanks,

Owen

The issue where column formatting breaks wrapping on the title field is a known issue - we've got the bug logged and hopefully a fix will be available soon.

@Owen Allen is that the issue you're talking about, or are you seeing your entire formatting JSON not persisting in some title columns?

It doesn't sound like the same bug.

I have no column formatting on the document library column named "Title", so the title text is displayed in one line and is cut-off by the column to the right.

I add the JSON script to apply word wrap (white-space), and hit Preview, the cells in the Title column wrap as desired.

I hit Save, and the cells in the column remain wrapped.

I can select diff rows in the view, the cells remain wrapped.

if I close the column formatting right hand panel, the cells in the Title column revert to a single line, eactly as they were prior to my typing/pasting in the JSON script.

i then reopen the column formatting panel, no script.

Happy to get more detail or give access to tenant for testing.

My work around is to create a new column of type single line text, copy content, remove "Title" column from view. (sigh) the things I do for clients.

Owen, we looked into this, and it seems that the Title field on Document Libraries (not lists) is typically marked as Sealed=true, which is likely why you weren't able to apply a format to it.

I'm currently trying to format the Name column of a document library so that its title wraps, but the title/name doesn't even appear with this JSON:

{
 "elmType":"div",
 "txtContent": "@currentField"
}

Is the title/name column unable to be formatted?

I found here that Filenames aren't supported: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/declarative-customization/column-formatting#supporte...

Any timeline to support this column? How would one wrap the title of a file?

We are working on the ability to support Name now.  This should be out in the next month.  As for wrapping, let me follow up.

Any update on when column formatting will be available in the web part on modern pages?

I am waiting for this as well - any updates on when it will be available?

Any news on this? Our Enterprise Company is waiting to have this really valuable feature soon...