Column formatting now rolling out to first release users

Microsoft

Hi all,

I would like to update you all on the rollout progress of the column formatting feature.  Today, we begun rolling this feature out to first release users.  All first release users will have the capability by the middle of next week (Wednesday, November 8th).  After that, we'll begin rolling out to first release tenants.  All tenants worldwide will have this feature by the end of November.

Here are some handy links to help you get started with column formatting:

• My session from Ignite 2017 where I talk about many of the new capabilities in lists and libraries, including column formatting.  Skip to 29:50 to view the portion of the talk devoted to column formatting.
  • Column formatting overview - a high level overview of the column formatting capability
  • Column formatting reference documentation - complete technical documentation on the capabilities provided, including many samples that will help you get started
  • Community sample repository - this is a Git repository where you can contribute useful samples that demonstrate how to use the feature, or accomplish common user scenarios.  We've seeded this repository with some of the samples from our reference documentation, and we're hoping to see lots of submissions from the community. 

We are very eager to hear your feedback on this feature, and hear your suggestions on how we can make it more useful.

31 Replies
That's great news....

Slightly offtopic, but since you are responsible for modern lists and libraries....When are we going to see modern task lists? Any plans on this one? Or are those not converted to modern and we are supposed to use planner instead?

I think as Microsoft mentioned Planner is an integral part of the Office 365 ecosystem and is integrated with Office 365 Groups. And it is ready to use task management portal with all the required components but in case Task list you had to create your SP team site first and then security then you get to manage your project plan. So, i don't see Microsoft planning to apply modern UI to task list as we have Planner released with cool task management features.

Sunny is on the right track.  Modernizing task lists is not a priority right now - Planner is where we're investing in task management for groups and teams.  We are thinking about ways we can connect the two - for example, by migrating SP tasks over to Planner - but we don't have any definitive timelines or plans in this area yet.  

@Lincoln DeMarisLooks like Column formatting has hit first release tenants. Been playing with it and it is working pretty well so far.  

However it does not look like the formatting is visible to the List WebPart on modern pages.  Are there any plans for this feature to show up in the webpart.  I am typically designing SharePoint pages so that a user almost never comes in contact with the actual List itself but sees a page with a list webpart.  This is mostly for aesthetic reasons and so I can add things like text or pictures referring to the list on the same page as the list.

Thanks,

That's right, formatting does not show up in the web part yet.  We are working on that now.  When it's close to being released, we'll post here and on the Message Center.

this is just what ive been waiting for, i tried pasting / editing the json code in the appropriate place but it doesnt work, is it not up and running yet ?, is it possible our sys admin have blocked anything? 

This feature is fully rolled out and to our knowledge, there's no way to block the functionality.  Can you message me the JSON that you're trying that's not working?  Are ALL samples that you've tried not working?

below is the json im using, it does work (but not when I switch to classic sharepoint (lol), can you tell me how to alter this code snippet so that the cells background is red with white text in bold

{

"elmType": "div",
"txtContent": "@currentField",
"style": {
"background-color": {
"operator": "?",
"operands": [
{
"operator": "<=",
"[$Alert_x0020_date]",
"@now"
]
},
"#ff0000",
""
]
}
}
}

Column formatting only works in modern.  

Try this JSON.  

{
"style": {
"background-color": {
{
"operator": "==",
"[$Alert_x0020_date]",
"@now"
]
},
"#ff0000",
""
]
},
"color": {
{
"operator": "==",
"[$Alert_x0020_date]",
"@now"
]
},
"#ffffff",
""
]
}
}
}

It works :) , thanks, I am trying to learn json code and am currently looking through some training videos on youtube.

I have one other problem, that I could do with  some help with, the column in sharepoint is set as a calculated column, with the date and time format set as date only, but it displays like this 2016-01-03TO8:00:00Z, how can I get it to display correctly, ie 03-01-2016, it does however work correctly if I switch to classic view

Column formatting with JSON works great (I'm only trying to word wrap long titles), but as soon as I close the JSON code text box, the formatting is lost - I can't get the code to persist, either when I apply it from the column in the view, or from the Library settings page. 

Is there a trick or a default setting I need to unwind in order for the code to be persisted?

This is the simple JSON code I'm using.

{
    "style":  { "white-space" : "normal" } 
}

Thanks,

Owen

Owen, that actually worked for me in lists and I was trying to do that, so thanks. Ps. Just copied and pasted your code :) Will try in Document library to see if that works also.

long title.PNG

Yep worked their also.

I just clicked the preview first, then save. and the code was still there when I came back to it.

Cool. It's not the code - (I don't think) - it worked for me in Preview, and when I hit save, and as long as I kept the little code window open, I could change the sort, scroll the view, etc. But, as soon as I closed the code window, the column went back to not being wrapped.

Strange and unexpected, I know. I was kind of hoping that @Lincoln DeMaris or one of his awesome mighty minions might have seen this before...?

In my tests, it has worked as expected

I still have this problem, that I could do with  some help with, the column in sharepoint is set as a calculated column, with the date and time format set as date only and the json code added as you sent me, but it displays like this 2016-01-03TO8:00:00Z, how can I get it to display correctly, ie 03-01-2016, it does however work correctly if I switch to classic view, is there some more json code I can put in to display it in dd/mm/yy format

Stephen mine did that as well, but the way I got around it was to use the =TEXT([Date],"dd/MM/yyyy") function in the Calculated field.

I see calculated fields are not yet supported. As json code on it only partially works for some reason.