Column calculated from other existing columns

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am very annoyed : I have a SharePoint list and I would like to get a calculated column whose content adds that of two other columns already existing in my list.

But when I select a calculated column, choose the columns on which I want to do my calculation and then validate, I get the error message below which tells me that the columns do not exist. How do you explain this please ??

Column calculationColumn calculation

Error messageError message

Thanks in advance for your help :cry:

6 Replies

@Vicgbt what column type are those 2 other columns in your list?

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Hello @RobElliott 

These are two numerical columns that I created myself

Is the column itself is a calculated column? I see the column of interest here is called "Daily REQ/ FT Advance...", and that lead me to assume that is the case.

From my experience, you can work around it by creating a new calculated column type using the column name (eg., =[$missingcolumn] in the formula. Then use this column in the secondary calculation.

Good luck!

@gretchunkim 

No it's not a calculated column, it's only a number that I entered myself

Thank you, I will try your solution then

@Vicgbt go into your list settings, select each of the columns and check what the internal name is at the end of the address bar after Field=. If you have changed the name of a column the original internal name will stay the same, and this might be the cause of your problem. It is the internal name that needs to be used in your calculated column.

internalColumnName.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott Indeed Robb, the internal name is not the same :

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

But when i change the formula i still get the same error message. Do you see what's wrong now ?

Capture3.PNG

Vicgbt_0-1633423057163.png

Thanks in advance