Choosing between SharePoint Server 2016 and SharePoint Server 2019 - Modern Team Sites Modern Pages?

Brass Contributor

Will SharePoint Server 2019 provide modern team sites and modern pages? Question is burning because my biggest client has embarked on a massive migration from SharePoint Server 2010 to SharePoint Server 2016 on-premises. (Responders: please save your breath trying to advise us to go O365/cloud; This post is about the choice of SharePoint Server 2016 on-premises as the technology platform. It is not about the cloud vs. on-prem decision - that is not subject to discussion in this case.) As architect and consultant, I hesitate to commit to SP 2016 that will never support modern team sites / modern pages. Should I push for SharePoint Server 2019 on the slight hint that SharePoint 2019 will support modern pages (from @Thomas Vochten's post in this thread)? Or should I just wait for SharePoint Conference 2018 in Las Vegas in May to learn what's in 2019?

3 Replies
:
We had a meeting with one of the product group managers couple of months ago and we were told that 2019 will be packed with features that include modern sites and pages.
Though, we can never until the product is released. We can know more during the First look of SharePoint Server 2019 session in Las Vegas.

By the way are you attending the conference?

Thanks,
Sri
Well. if you want an official message to your questions you have to wait until Microsoft disclosed this information...as you mention, it seems this will happen at SharePoint Conference in May

Thank you, Sri. And yes, I will be at the May 2018 SharePoint Conference in Las Vegas!