SOLVED

Changing the default "modern" theme

Copper Contributor

Having created a Team site in SPO (via the SharePoint admin centre, not a O365 Group Team site), the theme consists of a purple/pink colour that the business team does not like:

Capture.PNG

I'm aware that changing the modern theme is not yet available for "classic" Team sites, but there must be a way to change this without creating a whole new site, why apply a random purple theme by default if it can't be changed?!

Any ideas?

9 Replies
You do have 'Change the Look' via site settings. OK, i know you are restricted to the given themes, but at least you can get rid of the pink for now.
Hmm I don't believe that's correct. The classic theme is set to "Office" by default, and even changing it to Office again doesn't affect the pink.
Have you tried setting the classic theme to one of the others - and see if the modern colour scheme follows it?

I have a customer that uses the default tenant site collection (tenantname.sharepoint.com/), with mostly classic pages in the root, but a number of subsites using modern pages.

I created and applied a custom colour scheme for it (using the SharePoint Color Palette tool), applied it to the root site, and all modern pages, etc. took the new colour scheme.
best response confirmed by Rich Browne (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Here is a classic Team Site i created the other day. Default it looks

default.png

Changed it to another colour theme, using Change the look, and it now looks like 

2018-02-22_12-15-35.png

I have to say it takes an age to apply the new theme. (and the site icon is what i uploaded the other day).

Ah yes, apologies Tanya you are right. Changing to a different theme (e.g. Breeze) does make the pink go away. Though if I change back to Office the pink returns. Looks like I can resolve this with a custom composed look. Thanks for your help!

You're absolutely right Rob, custom composed look is the way to resolve this. Hopefully modern themes will be coming to classic team sites soon though!

You may find that if you take a copy of the default theme, and add it as a custom one, if you then select that custom one, your modern sites may behave.

(I've not tried it)

I have confirmed that if you create a custom theme it can be applied to a classic site and it does work. I used the PnP PS cmdlets (set-pnpwebtheme) to apply it. 

Thanks for the heads up @Drew Madelung, this works for me as well!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rich Browne (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Here is a classic Team Site i created the other day. Default it looks

default.png

Changed it to another colour theme, using Change the look, and it now looks like 

2018-02-22_12-15-35.png

I have to say it takes an age to apply the new theme. (and the site icon is what i uploaded the other day).

View solution in original post