Changing of URL for document libraries is possible, is it supported

Copper Contributor

I found out today from a customer that it is possible to change both name and the URL of a document library in SharePoint Online. The customer changed the URL after opening the URL in File Explorer.

I verfied this in our test Office 365 tenant and got the same possibility as my customer.

Is this supoorted from Microsoft?

It creates a whole lot of issues such as broken links and corrupt search results. As it is SharePoint Online I can´t check the SQL issues.

Best regards,

Ove Bristrand

NetIntegrate

5 Replies
For search to update you might want to force a reindex of the list in question. Indeed broken links will be a problem.

I have a client who has just askd me this exact question. How can they manually chnage the URL. They are accessing their libraries via explorer but when they try to edit the name by right clicking and selecting rename they get an error - "The action cant be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"

Any suggestion here? Maybe I can use powershell to do this somehow?

Changing URL of a document library using the file explorer , window explore, is very useful. So far, I haven’t encountered any trouble changing the URLs in this way.

In what case do we have problems ...? Could u kindly let me know.

@Fujii_Kimiyo The question I had hoped anyone from Microsoft would answer is if this is supported by Microsoft to change the URL.

I don´t have any issues or problems so far.

Have a great day, Ove

Thanks! Good hear from you ove, as u know the function for a last few years !!
I will inform you in case any problem happens ...

Thanks a lot , Kimiyo