SOLVED

Change News Page to Site Page

Deleted
Not applicable

Hi All,

I'm looking for a method of changing a News Page to a Site Page.  These pages were created prior to the hub sites being rolled out, now they are showing up in the News sections of all pages.

I'm familiar with the Promoted State column, but I haven't been able to find instructions on how to actually change the value in that column.  I've seen references to using Flow but never any instructions on actually doing that.

Any tips on this would be appreciated.

58 Replies
best response
Solution

Ok, I finally got this to work without Using flow. Do the following.

1.Go to Site Pages on your Site.
2.Change your view to "All Items"
3.Now Click the + to add a column to view, and select Show/Hide Columns
4.Check Promoted State column and click "Apply" at the top.
5.Now Click the view drop down and Save view as
6.Name it "All Items and State"
7.Now you should be able to click "Quick Edit" and then Promoted State column will be exposed to change the value. Change the page you no longer want to be news from 2 to 0 and Click exit and your page can now be a Site page again.

There are a couple ways: one option is to go to a "flat" view of the Site Pages library and use Quick Edit to change the promoted state value from 2 to 0. The other is to start with a flat view and make sure to show Promoted State. Then, group by Promoted State. You can drag a page from one group to another and that will change the promoted state.

If you want to use flow you can think of below

Use Create flow button from Site Pages library and choose template When a file is created or modified in a folder .

Use Get File Metadata using path action and select folder path as SitePages

Using Update file properties Update promotedState to zero from 2 and  and it should update to SitePage.

Ok, so I used the trick of exposing the column, saving the view, the using quick edit to change the 2 to 0 for a couple of pages.

if I add a news web part to the site where the page is located, the page doesn't show up any more!  Great!

BUT! I have added a news web part to the hub site.  The edited pages are still showing up at the hub level.  I've deleted the web part, deleted the page its on, recreated everything...but they still show up on the hub site.  

any advice for this situation?  I've opened a case with our cloud support, I will update if I get helpful results from them

Those news articles are search cached. You have to give it time for the crawl to happen but if you delete a news article it should go away I think in roughly 10 minutes or so.

I waited overnight, no change.

and just to be clear, I didn't delete the pages, I just changed their value in the "Promoted State" column.  

So deleting the news webpart and adding it again doesn’t update the articles? Search must not be refreshing when that column changes. I’ll poke around in my test site to see. Or it’s using a different flag for hub sites in addition to promoted state column.

I just worked with MS support on this, what a frustrating experience!

They also couldn't fix it.  We started a reindex of the hub site, so I'm waiting overnight to see if that helps things along.

I may end up simply deleting the pages and recreating them as site pages from the very beginning.

Hey @Deleted I figured this out since I was having same issue with the news not going away off my Hub site.

So changing the Promoted State only won't remove from Hub news. For whatever reason it doesn't count as whatever that news index uses to remove. What i did thou was change the page to promoted state 0. Then edited the page, and republished it. After I did a republish, it made the Reindex for the hub news update and remove the news article after 5-10 minutes or whatever. 

@Deleted wrote:

Hey @Deleted I figured this out since I was having same issue with the news not going away off my Hub site.

So changing the Promoted State only won't remove from Hub news. For whatever reason it doesn't count as whatever that news index uses to remove. What i did thou was change the page to promoted state 0. Then edited the page, and republished it. After I did a republish, it made the Reindex for the hub news update and remove the news article after 5-10 minutes or whatever. 

Amazing job figuring that out!  that absolutely cleared up the issue in less than 2 minutes!

I opened a case through my VAR on this issue. They brought MS support onto the case.  Over the course of several days, they never solved this or suggested anything helpful.

Not sure what has happend but if i move the page from 0 to 2 i get a status of 200.000.000.000.000 On the same tenant different sitecollection the drag and drop works fine. Could some-one please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advanced.

Rgds,

Red Behari

FYI - I'm curious if anyone else has tried this lately since it no longer appears to work. Dragging and dropping it from one state group to another doesn't change the site page Promoted State value. 

Yes, I just did it, see gif. I'll try on targeted release to see if I can do there as well, but on standard still working. promot.gif

Working on Targeted release as well.
Also, I don't use drag and drop, I use quick edit as shown in the gif, Make sure you edit a view with quick edit and save it, sometimes quick edit disappears right after save, just do an F5 refresh of browser and it will come back.

I have tried to test this on one of our modern sites, however, I do not see Promoted State in the available columns. Is there something missing, or do I lack permission to do this?

Edit: nevermind, I found it. You HAVE to use show/hide columns to do this. It's not available in Edit View.

Promoted State is one of the "modern" columns. You will need to "expose" it from a view of Site Pages by selecting "Add column" and then "Show/hide columns." When you do that, you will be able to check the box in front of Promoted State and click Apply. Be sure to save your view. Once you have done this, you should be able to add Promoted State to any view using the Edit View link.

Thank you for the animated gif. It's very useful to make sure every step was the same. Still no luck for me. Enclosed is the relevant part of the problem. For some reason, I can't edit that column. 

promoted.mov.gif

Are you site collection admin on that site? Never seen a column protected like that, that's interesting. Is the column maybe marked as read only in the content type somehow for the Site pages library in that site?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Ok, I finally got this to work without Using flow. Do the following.

1.Go to Site Pages on your Site.
2.Change your view to "All Items"
3.Now Click the + to add a column to view, and select Show/Hide Columns
4.Check Promoted State column and click "Apply" at the top.
5.Now Click the view drop down and Save view as
6.Name it "All Items and State"
7.Now you should be able to click "Quick Edit" and then Promoted State column will be exposed to change the value. Change the page you no longer want to be news from 2 to 0 and Click exit and your page can now be a Site page again.

View solution in original post