SOLVED

Change name of root site on the Sharepoint Home navigation

Iron Contributor

When I user click "Sharepoint" from the office 365 app menu they go to the Sharepoint Home (I think that is what its called).  Were there is a list of followed and favorite site, etc.  At the bottom I have a link that says "Team Site"  clicking it takes the user to the root domain sharepoint collection.  We have a different name for that site and just calling it "Team Site" doesn't really help for discovery of that site.  Is there a way to edit the menu to display the name of the site. 

Other options would be to remove it and be able to show the root collection in the cards on the right hand side.  Or even remove it and recreate the site not under the root so things just show up better.  Either way it would be nice to hide that link so not to confuse users into thinking that site is used and has content.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Jeff Williams (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Jeff Williams I have probably misunderstood what you have said.  But if you mean you have added a link under 'Featured Links' on the SharePoint home page, and you called this 'Team Site' then edit the link and call it what you want the users to see.  As for getting the root site to show up as a Card on the right, I believe this cannot be done as the cards are generated by sites the user frequently visits and auto-generated suggested sites.  

Would be interested to hear from others on this!

@Tanya Dentonthanks for your reply.  No I haven't added a link. it is just there by default.  Basically just a link to the root site collection.  I would really like to remove it and we don't really use the root site collection.  But you seem to have to have it for anything else to work. 

Anyway, it seems to be something the system generates, but the link just says "Team Site"  which isn't very descriptive.  I would have thought it would at least be the name of the site.

@Tanya DentonSorry, I see that I am in fact mistaken.  Or maybe it was just buggy before.  I click edit and for some reason o do see the control to change that link now.  Thanks.

@Tanya Denton wrote:

@Jeff Williams I have probably misunderstood what you have said.  But if you mean you have added a link under 'Featured Links' on the SharePoint home page, and you called this 'Team Site' then edit the link and call it what you want the users to see.  As for getting the root site to show up as a Card on the right, I believe this cannot be done as the cards are generated by sites the user frequently visits and auto-generated suggested sites.  

@Jeff Williams OK i  have checked our SharePoint home/landing page and ours does not show a pre-configured link.  We just have three headings, Following, Recent & Feature Links.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jeff Williams (Iron Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post