Change Event Web Part to Calendar view

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

In current SharePoint Online, the Event web part still has not had a modern calendar view.

If I need to show the event in calendar view, I need to use the classic Event Calendar. I understand that I can create a calendar view using SharePoint list.

But I have no idea how to add the event into a SharePoint list and change it to a calendar view.

Anyone has the same situation as me??

I really don't understand why Event web part cannot change the display style to a calendar.

4 Replies

@jojo222813 SharePoint OOTB modern experience Events web part does not support calendar layout yet.

If you want to use classic experience calendar, you can go to events list using URL in below format, then go to list settings and create new classic calendar view: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName/Events/AllItems.aspx

But, you will not be able to add this classic view to modern pages using Events or List web part.

If you are trying to use events list in modern experience, try workaround given here: Migrate Classic Calendar to Modern 

If above workaround is not working for you, you have to create a new modern custom list, create a modern calendar view and then migrate data from old list to new list.

Modern calendar view do not support all features of classic calendar lists. For example recurring events and calendar overlays. For other limitations, check comments section of article: Create a modern Calendar view in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap , thank you for the workaround.
I tried to follow the Migrate Classic Calendar to Modern to create a modern calendar view. However, it seems like I cannot use Embed webpart to embed this view to the SharePoint site landing page.
Tried to use List webaprt and cannot find the event list.
Also, when I click on the items in the Calendar, it seems like I can't view the event details. It will automatically download the .ics file.

I think it is ridiculous that the Event webaprt cannot choose calendar layout. It is very common to show the schedule in a calendar view.

@jojo222813 Did you tried below both ways to add modern calendar view to site pages and both ways are not working for you?

1. Add Modern Calendar to a SharePoint Online page using List web part 
  2. Add Modern Calendar to a SharePoint Online page 

What is the issue while using embed web part? 

I agree with you that Microsoft should support calendar layout for events web part. Many customers are waiting for this feature for long time now.

If nothing works, you may need to develop a custom web part using SPFx. You can find few samples below which will help you to get started with:

1. js-modern-calendar 
  2. sp-dev-fx-webparts samples 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @ganeshsanap,

List web part is not working. I cannot find my event list.
For the Embed web part, it is my typo mistake and I can use the embed web part to display the modern event calendar.

Is there any way that I can view the event details in the modern calendar view? When I click on the items in the calendar, it will automatically download the .ics file.

Thank you so much for your help!!