Cannot refresh a power query in Excel Sharepoint (in browser)

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a file on Sharepoint (Office 365) that has a power query which creates a table (TableB) that uses another table (TableA) in the same file as its source. If I open it In App, I can do a RefreshAll and TableB is updated if the contents of TableA have changed. However, if I try to do the same with the file open in the browser, I first get a warninin stating: "Be careful. The query to get the data might be unsafe so you should only refresh the workbook if you trust its source. Do you want to refresh the workbook?". If I click on Yes, I get an error titled "External Data Refresh Failed" saying "We were unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook.
The following connections failed to refresh: Query - qryUpdate", which is the name of the query that powers TableB.

I created the file, I own it, I have permissions to delete/update/create files and folders in my department's Sharepoint area.

This is an issue with any file containing a Power Query that I try to update. One final thing, I used to be able to refresh these queries until a few days ago.

I have tried so many different approaches suggested by posts on forums but none have worked. I feel it must be some sort of permissions issue but I am a total newbie to Sharepoint so I do not know how to fix the problem. I am an experienced programmer, especially in Excel(desktop), so I find it frustrating that something that should be so easy cannot be done. I have even looked created a Typescript macro, which just has one functional line

function main(workbook: ExcelScript.Workbook) {
   workbook.refreshAllDataConnections();
}

This runs without error but does not update the table.

Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a basic example. In the real product there are many more columns in TableA and TableB has had calculated columns added.

Thanks,
Chris
3 Replies

Hi @ecawilkinson, did you find a solution to this? I have the same issue.

I am not an expert, but now I have a computer always turn on, where a have all my querys, and I pull them with powerautomate. It is not the best solution but it works.

@Martina_Hawkins I am also having this issue and cannot seem to find a way around it. Were you able to resolve the refresh using the browser View/edit.