Cannot paste from classic quick edit view

Iron Contributor

One of our clients has made us aware of an issue in SharePoint Online. They want to use the classic experience for some lists because the modern grid view is missing features they rely on. 

However, when using the classic quick edit view, they can't copy/paste data from the grid to another location. They can copy and paste within the grid, but if you try to paste data from the grid into another app or even a text control outside of the grid, you get the previously copied value. 

If you select individual portions of text within a cell, then copy/paste works as expected. But if you select a single cell, multiple cells or rows, you can't paste outside of the grid.

I've confirmed this in both Chrome and Edge. I've also confirmed that it works as expected using the modern experience grid view. 

Has anyone discovered a work-around for this?

3 Replies

@Ivan Wilson Hello,

I don't have an answer for your question, however I am curious to know what feature they rely on that is not yet available in the modern experience? 

Yours sincerely,
Aref Halmstrand

@ArefHalmstrand I believe they are doing a lot of data entry and are used to the keyboard shortcuts for handling choice, lookups, yes/no fields etc. in the classic grid. I believe the same functionality is available in the modern grid, but are less efficient.

For example, in the classic grid choice field, you can select an item by typing the initial characters and press tab. In the modern grid, you need to press any key to start filtering, then type your search phrase, hit enter and then tab. Not a big deal for a few updates but feedback from users that have a lot of updates to make has been poor.

@Ivan Wilson I see,

Thank you for the explanation! :)