Cannot get rid of preservation hold

Copper Contributor

Historically, I had a retention policy on all Sharepoint sites that was set to retain everything forever with the thinking of "who wouldn't want that?!". This was obviously a mistake with clearing up unwanted items to free up space and I've since tried many attempts at adjusting the policy to remove this retention from this particular Sharepoint site with no luck. I've even outright just deleted all policies and still the preservation hold folder will not clear.

I first started trying to deal with this issue back in December. My first attempt was to exclude the Sharepoint site from the policy. Nothing happened right away so I figured I'd give it a few days but again, nothing changed. Then I read somewhere that it can take up to 90 days for files to be cycled out which would have been a few weeks back. Still, nothing has changed. Not that I want to delete the site, but I've also noticed in the Sharepoint admin portal that there is a message on the site saying I cannot delete it due to a compliance policy being set to block deletion. As far as I could tell, there is no policies anymore that should be applying to this site.

As a final attempt, yesterday I deleted all compliance policies and still, nothing has changed. The deletion message in the portal is still there and the preservation hold is still just as big as it has been.

What am I missing?

0 Replies