SOLVED

Cannot edit new custom column

Copper Contributor

Hoping someone can assist me with this. I am attempting to create custom column in my document library. I have this setup as a site column, and it appears in my document  list, but when I attempt to edit the properties there is no option to update it. I have added the column to a content type that is being used by this library, but no luck. Suggestions?

1 Reply
best response confirmed by nataliamae (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@nataliamae This is a default behavior of SharePoint, you cannot assign custom columns to the (default) Folder content type in library. You must have added custom column to the Document content type in library.

Workaround:

You can set custom columns for folders in Grid view. Open your library in grid view using Edit in grid view option at the top of library.

ganeshsanap_0-1620205539947.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by nataliamae (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@nataliamae This is a default behavior of SharePoint, you cannot assign custom columns to the (default) Folder content type in library. You must have added custom column to the Document content type in library.

Workaround:

You can set custom columns for folders in Grid view. Open your library in grid view using Edit in grid view option at the top of library.

ganeshsanap_0-1620205539947.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post