Cannot disable [Export to Excel] feature

Brass Contributor

Hi everyone

I donot want user that can use [Export to Excel] feature.

1.png

I think I should uncheck the following permission.

2.png

But in my site although I have disabled the Client Integration features.

The user still can use  [Export to Excel] feature.

I have check the user's permission there is no problem.

Can someone tell me except permission problem what's the other reason can cause this situation.

Any help will be appreciate...

Thanks!

Tobey.

11 Replies
Is this SPO or SP OnPrem?

Thank you for your response! It's SPO.

Mmm...well, by using permissions you cannot enable / disable the Export to Excel option. The only option to disable the option is by means of some programming so you can program a piece of code that disable the option for this library

Permission can control Export to Excel feature.
I have found this is Limited Access's problem...

Hello Tobey,

I am facing the same problem. Were you able to find a solution?

Should this work for sharepoint online as well?

Yes should work

@Tobey Davies wrote:

Thank you for your response! It's SPO.

Hi Tobey,

Create a custom permission level with required list permissions. Under "Site Permissions" disable the following options:

a) Use Remote Interfaces - Use SOAP, Web DAV, the Client Object Model or SharePoint Designer interfaces to access the Web site.
b) Use Client Integration Features - Use features which launch client applications. Without this permission, users will have to work on documents locally and upload their changes.

Assign this custom permission to the group which does not require "Export to Excel" option.

For the list or library go to > Library Settings > Advanced Settings > Display this list using the new or classic experience? - select Classic experience.

Even with custom permissions, the new experience has an option "Export to Excel" enabled. Hence the above step in Library settings.

By the way, this also disables, "Open with Explorer" option.

Trust this helps

@Sundar Arunachalam I tried this today (SP Online), and when I tested, I couldn't get to the list at all. Site-yes, list-no. I tried again, re-enabling "Use Remote Interfaces," but I still couldn't access the list. I see that I can't select only "Use Client Integration Features" because when I deselect "Use Remote Interfaces," "Use Client Integration Features" automatically deselects as well.

I realize this conversation took place a couple of years ago, but if you have any additional suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

@Sundar Arunachalam I think I figured this out!

1. I created a new permission level, following the steps in your post and called it Read Only - No Download.
  2. For our site, everyone who has access to the site is in the Visitors group. I created a new SP group called Visitors - No Download and assigned it the new Read Only - No Download permission level.
  3. I copied all of the names from the Visitors group to the Visitors - No Download group (so everyone is in both groups).
  4. I went to the permissions for the LIST, broke inheritance, and removed the Visitors group. So the new Visitors - No Download group has access to the list, but the Visitors group does not.

Result:

• My name is in BOTH groups.
  • When I tested, I COULD get to the list, and the Export to Excel command is NOT on the Command bar on the list page (see attached graphic).

If I find out anything else of interest, or if I find that this is somehow not working, I'll reply again. Thanks for your help!