Can you share a Document Library, to the Public, without Adding them as a External User?

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to share a document library, to the public, without adding them as an external user.

I have a number of legal documents I need to share to external users.  I don't want to administer users each time I sign on a new client.  I just want to give them a link, and they can click on and see these documents.  It is view / read only.  They will not be making any changes or adding any additional documents.  I just want them to come to this site and pull the files they need.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks!

5 Replies

Hi @Alex_Lawson,

It is not possible with SharePoint Online. External access requires a named user and public sites where discontinued.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Thanks for the advice!  I will look at an alternative.  @Norman Young 

Don't agree here...you can share a file or folder in SPO using the One Time Passcodes so they only need to type his/her e-mail and after that the code they recieve by e-mail. To test this, use the new Grant access experience you have in the details pane for a selected document or folder
So you can't public Share and entire library, but you can Share a folder easily using the Anyone with this link access. So you could basically put everything into a root folder, then Share that folder out using that link and giving it edit / read rights which will be a pseudo public location.

Hello @Juan Carlos González Martín,

This is very interesting and I did not know this functionality was now possible. Thanks for sharing.

I can share to an external user and gain access using the One Time Passcode.

1.png

I am not seeing how you can present the folder/file to an anonymous user without invitation. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Norm