Can you set the Quick Launch Menu as to default as collapsed with Modern Pages?

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I have a SharePoint site with a large number of subsites, each with their respective document folders. I have transitioned to the new Modern Pages experience, and whilst promising, I note by default my root page displays an expanded Quick Launch Menu, resulting in the user having to scroll to find their next link.

An example can be seen below:

Quick Menu.jpg

Is there an option or a method to have these Quick Launch subsites collapsed as their default behaviour please?

I note Microsoft advised of such a solution for the classic experience here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms466994(v=office.14).aspx, but I cannot find a solution for the Modern experience.

Any help greatly received!

Thanks,

Darren

33 Replies

Well, this particular "feature" has caused me nothing but grief since it went live.  My users (who are new to SharePoint online) are already trying to get to terms with our navigation and structure and the menus collapsing every time is causing them real issues.  I also have site owners that have changed the templated navigation (against policy) so that everything at the top level so it doesn't collapse.

Please, please, please Microsoft - offer the option to enable/disable this nightmare!  I agree that some will want this and that's why you changed it in the first place, but you've pleased one group of users and alienated another set.......

I assume at some point it'll be a switch at some point for expand/collapse at the site level. Until that time, is anyone aware of a script that could be plugged into the master page to solve it for now? 

Thanks.

I looked into this further. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like I will have to build a small SharePoint app that does the auto-expand capability in the modern UI experience and then deploy across the collection.

Yes I posted a link about SPFx, but I've never been able to find what javascript should be executed or what function to call to expand it.

Let us know if you find something. THanks

Hi Damien,

Were you ever able to find out the JS or the function which needs to be called to expand this?

Hi Jacob,

Sadly not...

If anyone find something, please share in this topic.

Thanks

Totally agree!!! There should be an option to allow site admin to control the left navigation collapsed/expended by default.
It's potentially doable, but it's like an "hacking" way to implement it. Additionally, the left navigation is loaded asynchronously, your script will need to try multiple times to test the left navigation is loaded, then click the "expend" icon to expend them. I do think this is not an elegant way to implement it, I'd prefer Microsoft to provide a switch to control the left navigation is expended or collapsed.
Completely agree. We have a lot of new users on SharePoint and many do not notice or realize they can expand the menu by clicking the little icon.

Yes indeed, agree... We need to have the expand and collapse configurable at site level. Every time someone clicks on a sublink the new page is loaded and the menu is collapsed again. It frustrates the user to reopen the menus again and go into sublinks. 

This is something very that has to be rectified by Microsoft at the earliest. Really very difficult to live with default collapsed menus.

Regards

Prashant

As there is still no solution from Microsoft (!!!) - I just used this one - easy to install and to deploy and it will just open and show all sub-links at the left navigation: https://www.tecconsult.at/products/sharepoint-auto-expand-left-navigation

Agreed, this feature is limiting/stalling our migration to the cloud as for some sites we need to configure it as on or off depending on the content. 

@Max89 

@Darren O'Leary 

Try this - add dashes to the sub pages, and position how you want them in order

FINISHED LOOK

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 10.32.11.png

PASTE SYMBOLS TOO

Symbols.png