Can you set the Quick Launch Menu as to default as collapsed with Modern Pages?

Brass Contributor

Hi All,

I have a SharePoint site with a large number of subsites, each with their respective document folders. I have transitioned to the new Modern Pages experience, and whilst promising, I note by default my root page displays an expanded Quick Launch Menu, resulting in the user having to scroll to find their next link.

An example can be seen below:

Quick Menu.jpg

Is there an option or a method to have these Quick Launch subsites collapsed as their default behaviour please?

I note Microsoft advised of such a solution for the classic experience here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms466994(v=office.14).aspx, but I cannot find a solution for the Modern experience.

Any help greatly received!

Thanks,

Darren

33 Replies
AFAIK, we don't currently have a way to do this in the modern UI. Bear in mind that the link you have included in your post is for SP OnPremises.

I agree, this is a must have. Especially sins the Top nav doesnt adopt at all to the mobile experience, well it simply dissepears. Leaving us to use the quickluanch for all the navigation if we want to claim to have a "mobile" experience.

It would be great if MS could address this issue. It is happening in one client's tenant. They had Publishing activated so we could use the drop down top navigation. We've turn that off to improve page load and work better with modern libraries. But since the patch in March we've had this mess with the left nav show subsite nav detail. I've opened a ticket with MS and I was sent to this discussion forum. I will also add something to the user voice, but seems like a bug to me. Super messy and difficult for users.

Couldn't agree more. It's these simple things which makes us hold the rollout to modern pages. Hope to see this looked into soon.

Just a quick update - I've noted our SharePoint homepage

@Philine von Guretzky wrote:
Couldn't agree more. It's these simple things which makes us hold the rollout to modern pages. Hope to see this looked into soon.

now appears to have a collapsed Quick Launch list as default.

I haven't made any changes that would effect this, so I guess Microsoft has noted feedback and changed the default behavior.

Default Collapsed Quick Launch.PNG

Seeing this too, which is great. However, at least in my tenant, when you follow a link to a other than the home page the menu stays collapsed and the top category is not highlighted either. Making it a little tricky for the user to understand where they are.
That's not how I have my tenant setup - when you visit a sub-site from the root tree, only the folders within that tree are then displayed. This works well for now, apart from not being 100% obvious how to return to the root tree.

I agree the improvements you suggest would be very welcome. The top category could be shaded in a colour taken from your colour scheme.

Yes I saw this too but this is not what I'd like !

Highly prefer the expanded menu for me.

The main issue I'm having now is that I don't know how to make that the root items (such as Image Library in your screenshot) to be expanded when clicked over their name.

Right now it's opening the page associated to this menu item.

I think I'm missing something...

Hi Damien,

For me, expanding the menu is as simple as clicking the downwards facing arrow next to each category.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Yes that seems to be pretty simple to me to but all my users don't get it and I need to explain to each of them one by one...

edit: i dont have the same effect than you when I click on the name though.

What kind of link is "Open Intelligence" when you edit the menu?

'Open Intelligence' is a sub-site of the main tenant, and the different years are sub-sites of 'Open Intelligence'. I have tweaked the Open Intelligence quick launch so that irrelevant links (anything other than a document library) have been removed, to try and make it less confusing for our users.
I see, I'll try with the subsite thing then but might have difficulties to move content from site to subsite.
Anyway, it would be create if we can have an option or at least a piece of code that we can add so the menu can expanded or collapsed based on client wishes...

We have noticed this as well. Some users are asking for them to be expanded others are happy for them not to be expanded.  

It would be a great feature to have the option and it is disappointing that this has been changed without any warning.

Yep - warning would have been nice - not everyone out in the world of SharePoint wanted the menu's collapsed, in fact this has already caused issues with my new users, who are confused as to where all the sub options have gone.

I appreciate that others out there don't feel the same and that's why Microsoft made this change - but why no notice - and why isn't there an option to change it back?

Does anyone have any guidance they can give on how we might revert to the menu's being expanded by default?

I have spent some time looking into this and there does not appear to be anything that can be done, out of the box. Happy for someone to prove me wrong though.

Let's try to share where we've been looking.

After failing to find any option in the site settings, I've started to look at SharePoint Framework Extensions (SPFx): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/spfx/extensions/overview-extensions

I would be surprised we cannot achieve what we want with this but still find something working yet...

Any news on this?
One of our clients wants to disable automatic collapse and leave it expanded.

I opened a service call with MS and was told this was the designed and expected behavior :(

@Aleš Šavli wrote:
Any news on this?
One of our clients wants to disable automatic collapse and leave it expanded.

:) It's not a bug It's a feature!

It is by design...they could easily add one configuration to enable or disable this "expected behavior"