Can't edit my own document uploaded in sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I have created a document and shared it with all respective people but none of them can make any edits, including me. Even I can't edit my own document, it gives an alert as below and is only available in read mode. But I and other people need to make edits. I have copied and re-uploaded but that also doesn't work.

I am like forever stuck on this. Can anyone please rescue me? Thank you so much in advance :). 

rebirose_0-1674192579874.png

11 Replies

@rebirose Are you able to open and edit the file if you download the file on your computer? Try it just to make sure there is no problem with the file itself.

Also, make sure no one in your company changes permissions for these files. If you have access to site collection administrator account for this site, try login using that account and editing the file.

You can also raise a support ticket with Microsoft directly, follow: Get Office 365 support - online support 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap Thank you for replying. Yes, when I download it, I can edit it. But thing is that we have multiple people who need to work together on this document and nobody can edit it, even if they are owners. As I have uploaded that file, I can't edit it as well. That's quite strange. 

@rebirose You can also try opening SharePoint file in the Office app instead of the browser.

DocumentationOpen a OneDrive or SharePoint file in the Office app instead of the browser 

Using this way, file will be stored in SharePoint and multiple users can access it.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap I am having this problem too. Can edit if I download them. But cannot if I open them in the word / powerpoint app directly from within teams. Then I have to download, edit, and re-upload the file. 

It is like what happens with all other file types - CAD, SolidEdge etc. This has started cropping up since the last couple of months and is really annoying. Am sure I am not the only one facing this. Any buzz around the web why this is happening and how to resolve this?

@rebirose Is this resolved in one way or the other? We have exact the same problem. Can not edit files on line or opened in Word or Excel.

Hi @ArieVanB,

I was not able to solve this, so I copied all content and created a new document.

We are also experiencing this issue. Started on 9/13/23, every day or so the same issue is reported (READ only in browser, open in Desktop, update ok, & saves back to SharePoint). What's strange - it's not as if everything broke for everyone at the same time. Maybe a dozen people have now reported it, just today, 2 people said, "I was updating the file yesterday & today I can't edit via the browser". We do not have Click to Run installed.

We have a ticket open w/Microsoft but haven't made any progress so far. Many of the files are typically updated concurrently, so it's impacting productivity :-(.

Any input wouls be appreciated!

@SHC_HDQ-PTH We opened a case at Microsoft.

They asked the same questions over and over (like is it online in sharepoint?, what is the url?, etc etc)

Finally the case was escalated to senior engineers. A week after that, the problem seems to be resolved. We did not get any feedback on this. Also the question "what did you do to resolve this?"was not answered. So there's nothing you can do but wait and keep pushing until you are higher on the escalation ladder.

@ArieVanB Thank you for letting me know.  If we get a resolution, will post here. 

Received today:

After checking with our Senior escalation engineer, we cannot determine which action exactly that has resolved the case as we were still running diagnostics to identify the reason for the faced behavior, we strongly suspect that this has been resolved by an update that was deployed for either the OS or a fix was deployed by our developers for another issue that was the root cause of our issue.