SOLVED

Can Published Content Type update if it is not read only?

Brass Contributor

I have 2 scenarios:

- If on Subscribed Site, we change the Published Content Type from Content Type Hub into not read only status and add another column to it. Can this content type update normally when Content Type Hub republish it?

- If we add an existing column on the Subscribe site to this Content Type, and Change it Read Only again, may it work well?

- which feature of Content Type Publishing may be effected by the status "Not read only"? (I see the warning that workflow and something else, can anyone explain clearly?)

5 Replies
I'm not 100% sure, but If I recollect correctly the content types you've changed by making them not read only anymore, will be ignored by future changes from the hub. They won't be overwritten anymore and changes won't be "merged" in any way.

What I believe you could do however on your subscribed site, is to create a new Content Type based off of your Published Content Type.

I did some tests on my environment to see what happens. My environment is SharePoint Online so I have to wait a while for these changes to become visible. I'll let you know the results!

@Paul Pascha , your suggestion that creates a content type base on the Published Content Type is really excellent. I will try.

The problem of this topic is rooted:

- I usually create content types in content type hub to have consistent data for control. My data is lists of Process stage (I have an example in another topic)

- In the Content-type Hub, I can't create Lookup column, it may cause conflict with the column in Subscribe Site and take time to maintain. So I usually create Columns with Single Line Text Type. Then on my Subscribed site, in the following stage List, I create a new Lookup Column point to the previous stage List --> use Flow to get the correct ID of the Lookup item --> pull out the data I need from another column of this item --> push data into the Column I create in Content Type Subscribed.

- I don't want to use Lookup because it does not support many other types except single line of text, number and currency

Is my way correct?

I've replied in the topic you were referring to
best response confirmed by ca_rem (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ca_remI've just  checked the results of yesterday's tests. For this test I defined and Published a Content Type from my Content Type Hub. I then created a new (classic) site to have my Published Content Type available immediately after creation. In this new site I changed the subscribed Content Type to not read only and added a column. I've also Created a new Content Type inheriting from my Subscribed Content Type and added another new column to that one too. Next I've added a column to the Content Type in my Hub and republished the Content Type...

To summarize the results:

• The change I've made to my subscribed content type was lost after the published Content Type was synchronized. My subscribed Content Type was reverted back to read-only and the column I added in my subscribed site was removed. The column I added from my Content Type Hub was added.
  • The Content Type I created by inheriting from my subscribed Content Type was untouched. The column I added to this one was still there as well as the new column I added in my Content Type Hub

@Paul Pascha . You are so amazing.

Base on your analysis, I will create another content type base on the Published Content type and I can customize as I like. The new Content Type will inherit from the Published Content-Type, It also will receive a new column added to the root content type. Really Amazing.

Thanks a lot.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ca_rem (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@ca_remI've just  checked the results of yesterday's tests. For this test I defined and Published a Content Type from my Content Type Hub. I then created a new (classic) site to have my Published Content Type available immediately after creation. In this new site I changed the subscribed Content Type to not read only and added a column. I've also Created a new Content Type inheriting from my Subscribed Content Type and added another new column to that one too. Next I've added a column to the Content Type in my Hub and republished the Content Type...

To summarize the results:

• The change I've made to my subscribed content type was lost after the published Content Type was synchronized. My subscribed Content Type was reverted back to read-only and the column I added in my subscribed site was removed. The column I added from my Content Type Hub was added.
  • The Content Type I created by inheriting from my subscribed Content Type was untouched. The column I added to this one was still there as well as the new column I added in my Content Type Hub

View solution in original post