Can only edit List in Grid View in Default View. Can't 'open' item to edit.

Iron Contributor

Updated with another usage below. I could REALLLLLLLY use some help with this. 

I have a list of project folders. Each item has several columns that we use to manage metadata (ex., client name, location, project name, etc).  

It seems the only way I can edit these column values is if I'm in the Default View. I don't have the Created column in the default view so I need to either (a) enter grid view then scroll forever to find the new item or (b) show Created column and sort by new.  

So, question 1; Am I crazy to think I should be able to enter grid view from any list view? 

Question 2; Do I need to enter Grid View to edit an item's value? 

This kills productivity having to take several minutes to do something that should only take a few seconds. I have a lot of edits to do to the data we've migrated in to SharePoint. I need to set schedule time aside to make these edits instead of doing them on the fly as needed.  

Edit: Updating this with another usage case. 

The list has hundreds of items. I just created a new folder that starts with "Smith". I literally have to scroll for 3 minutes to get down to that item. I noticed that the Project column was not filled out. So, it seems to me that I can not edit this line item by selecting it then editing the properties. I need to select EDIT IN GRID VIEW which then brings me all the way back up to the top to item "000 - Folder" and I have to scroll down to "Smith" again for three minutes to edit it. 

2 Replies

@Anthony-123 Hello. I also am having this same issue, and I was wondering if you have come up with a solution?

Nope. I don't know why I bother to post anything in these forums. Can never get any help.