Can I view the files inside a deleted folder inside the recycle bin

Steel Contributor

I am searching for a deleted power-point file , so i checked the site collections' recycle bins, but the issue is that the recycle bin contain folders, and i am unable to know if the PowerPoint file i am searching for is inside the folder, unless I restore the whole folders. so my question is how i can view the files inside a deleted folder from recycle bin ? and is there a search functionality for recycle bins?

Thanks

7 Replies
When you delete a folder, files within the folder will appear individually in the recycle bin. Restoring a folder will not restore the files that where in it, you'll need to also individually restore the files.
This means that you should see your file in the recycle bin list directly.

@Djavan ROA , I'm fairly certain that files and folders within folders are not listed separately in the Recycle Bin--my org just went through a huge deletion mishap, and we observed that hundred of files not listed in the recycle bin were restored following recovery of a single folder.

@john john , I'm not aware of a way to do this in the browser UI. I'd be thrilled to see an alternative solution to this.

Ok I've quickly tested again, when you remove a folder from a SP library using the mapped folder in through OneDrive sync all files appear flat in the recycle bin (this is what I reminded). If you remove a folder using SP UI you get à single folder item in the recycle bin.

@Djavan ROA wrote:
When you delete a folder, files within the folder will appear individually in the recycle bin. Restoring a folder will not restore the files that where in it, you'll need to also individually restore the files.
This means that you should see your file in the recycle bin list directly.

If this was the case i would not ask this question :) unfortunately individual files inside folders will not show individually inside recycle bin .

@john john , I'm not aware of a way to do this in the browser UI. I'd be thrilled to see an alternative solution to this.

@Matt Coats  thanks for the reply. i am afraid that currently i would have to restore single folders and check the files, which will be a night mare...

@john john There is something of a workaround out there. I wouldn't call it overly helpful, but it might be better than nothing.

If you look at the "Restore This Library" option for a document library, you can see every action that happened against that library. If a folder was deleted, it lists out each file individually as having been deleted. This detail doesn't include file path, so it's only barely helpful, but if you're looking for a specific file, this could help you determine what happened to it.

@john john 

I agree jj. Here's my genius solution ( I just now figured it out).  Create a folder on your Desktop called Restored, drag some folder in the recycle bin into that folder, then search inside those folders.

It takes seconds.