SOLVED

Can externally share files OK, but not folders

Deleted
Not applicable

Posting here as MS Support have not come up with a solution.  The scenario is tenant wide and is regarding the Share feature in a standard modern document library.  Quite simply, for the same external user:

1. If Share is selected on a file it works perfectly
  2. If Share is selected on a folder in the same library we get this error message:
    ShareError1.PNG
  3. AFAIK there are no settings that differentiate between sharing of files and folders
  4. MS Support have checked all External Sharing settings and they are correct

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

8 Replies

Hi @Deleted ,

What happens if you break the permission inheritance on the folder and then add the user in? 

Do you as a SharePoint admin still get this issue if you try and share the folder or is it just users with Contribute/Edit permissions? 

Andy

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Solved by MS Support.

In my 19 years of hacking SPS for living I have never touched this setting.  The solution is to deactivate the "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" in the root site collection.  This allows for the sharing of folders.  Don't ask me why......

@Deleted  Have you tried disabling the 'Limited User Lockdown' mode on the site? I believe it is enabled by default.

Open the SharePoint site> Settings> Site Information> Site Settings> Site Collection Features> Scroll to “Limited-access user permission lockdown mode” and deactivate it.

@Kimberly Roetmanplease see my post above

@Deleted  :lol: Guess I was a couple of minutes late on my reply!

Hi@Deleted ,

That setting is not enabled by default in SharePoint Online, like you I have not touched that setting on many, many tenants.

Andy

.@Kimberly Roetman .....but you were 100% correct!  Many thanks for responding :)

Hi @Andrew Hodges -  the Limited Use Lockdown mode feature gets enabled if you activate the publishing infrastructure feature.

(We've run into this before because of that.)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

Solved by MS Support.

In my 19 years of hacking SPS for living I have never touched this setting.  The solution is to deactivate the "Limited-access user permission lockdown mode" in the root site collection.  This allows for the sharing of folders.  Don't ask me why......

View solution in original post