Can delete a Guest account (external user account) delete/affect documents created/mod by the user

Steel Contributor

We are facing an issue with an external user account , where recently when the external user try to access the site , he got this error, that his account can not be found:-

testabc.png

although when i checked his permission on the site i can see that his email address already has contribute permissions on the sites + he received the invitation email to his external email address. now i checked the users from "Microsoft 365 admin center" >> "Users" >> "Active users" , and i can see that there are 2 accounts for this external user (same account but one with "onmicrosoft" in it), as follow:-

2users.png

now i read many articles about this and most of them suggest to remove the 2 external user accounts from "Microsoft 365 admin center" >> "Users" >> "Active users", and then re-share the site with the external user email address. but since in our case this external user has created many documents and list items, before facing the problem.

so my question/concern is if removing these external user accounts can in a way or another affect the documents/items created/modified by these external accounts?

3 Replies

There shouldn't be any issues with that, much like removing "regular" users doesn't affect any documents they have created within SPO sites.

What most likly is wrong with this user, he has a MSA and a Work account with the same address and he's logged into his personal address or vise versa. If they have both, might want them to change their login alias on their MSA, and see if they can get around this instead of messing with the account.

@Chris Webb wrote:
What most likly is wrong with this user, he has a MSA and a Work account with the same address and he's logged into his personal address or vise versa. If they have both, might want them to change their login alias on their MSA, and see if they can get around this instead of messing with the account.

what i did is that i removed the guest accounts from "Office 365" >> "Active users" + i removed the user from the sharepoint groups + from the user hidden list.

Then i re-share the sites with him, not sure if this will fix the problem..