Bulk move specific files in sharepoint

Copper Contributor

Im looking for a way to bulk move specific files between folders in the same document libary. Using the move function in the modern experience is an option but we have over 20000 files to move between 30 or so folders, so would be rather time consuming. The csv option in the SharePoint migration tool would be a perfect solution but from what I can see it only migrated folders not files.

3 Replies
If it's within the same library, using Open with Explorer might work well. Have you tried that with a small group to see how it works?
You could also use for this the OneDrive Sync client...or if you have some PowerShell scripts create a script to make the move

Hi Duane "Open with Explorer", which is only available in Internet Explorer 11, is likely your best bet unless you need to preserve system metadata like "Created By" and "Created Date".  Copy/Pasting will update these properties.  Also I'd have to check, but "Open with Explorer" may be problematic with the number of files you have.

To keep the metadata, I would suggest getting someone with some PowerShell experience and then have yourself or the business users map the source and target for the files.  I seasoned SharePoint PowerShell developer only really needs source and target.  If you need help, my company may be able to assist.  Click here for assistance in a new browser window.

Alternatively if this is going to be an ongoing exercise over time, I would recommend investing in ShareGate which is a migration utility that has been around forever, well tested, and one of the cheaper ones out there.  This will give you a visual of your entire environement, do "checks" before anything moves to see if anything will cause an error, etc.  Click here for ShareGate in new browser window.