Bug: Uppercase file extensions cause file to be renamed in Modern UI Details pane [Update]

Brass Contributor

Update 21-Feb-19: After being acknowledged by SharePoint Engineering, it seems this bug has been fixed now. I've tested on a couple of different tenants, including one on Standard Release.

We have encountered an issue that we believe is a bug would be grateful if anyone could corroborate our findings.

If a file is uploaded to SharePoint Online with an uppercase file extension (for example, the native Snipping Tool in Windows saves files as ".PNG" rather than ".png") and the Name field is clicked into in the Details pane, then the UI seems to get confused when trying to truncate the file extension from the filename and ends up duplicating the entire filename including the extension. When the user then just clicks away the file gets renamed.

Here are 2 documents in a standard document library:

Capture0.PNG

Opening the Details pane and just clicking in the Name field results in the entire filename being duplicated:

Capture2.PNG

Simply clicking away from the field (i.e. without making any edits) results in the Name field being updated and now the file has a double extension.

Capture3.PNG

And you can repeat the process over and over...

Capture4.PNG

By comparison, a file uploaded with a lowercase file extension doesn't exhibit the same behaviour:

Capture5.PNG

Can anyone else verify that they are experiencing the same issue? Our tenant is on Standard Release.

It appears the bug is also triggered by using the "Edit all" link in the Details pane.

CaptureMore1.PNG

When the edit controls are rendered the user doesn't even need to click into the Name field as the UI has already duplicated the extension in the filename.

CaptureMore2.PNG

Should the user then click "Save" (with or without making any actual other metadata changes), the file is saved with another instance of the extension tagged onto the end of the filename.CaptureMore3.PNG

1 Reply

Yup, I can confirm the behavior. Seems like yet another example of unproperly handled edge case, which is kind of the norm nowadays...